1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Simple Question, How much does a PU Truck Hold, CL add

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by HDRock, Apr 4, 2013.

1. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I don’t have a PU, never hauled wood in one.
    I have 5x10 trailer. Reason I am asking is to see if CL add is worth pursuing.

Firewood Self Cut - $40
    Seasoned Hardwood, on 70 acres. Good driveable trails to within feet of wood. $40 for a pick-up truck load or equivelent. You pick what size you want, cut, load, haul. Buy 10, get 1 free. Get an early start for another long/cold/expensive winter. call for appointment James

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Here's my estimate for firewood stacked (not thrown) up to the top of the bed walls (not heaping) in a pickup bed

6 ft. bed = 1/3 cord
    8 ft. bed = 1/2 cord

So if you have a 8 ft. bed the wood would be at least $80 per cord with you doing all the work.

Too expensive for me in my part of the country, but I imagine this may interest some in different regions and circumstances.
  3. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Got this from AK forest service

trk capcty1.jpg
  4. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    OK 8 ft. bed = 1/2 cord

½ a cord is what I load my trailer to, so $80 a cord, and 15 to 20 Mi one way, may not be what I want to do, I’m sure more free scrounges will turn up.
    I think it's a little to much $ and do all the work to.
  5. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Thanks thats a neet little chart
  6. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Pretty funny, they have 70 acres of Seasoned Hardwood,
    Thistle, Backwoods Savage and Shane N like this.
  7. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    If you get to pick the trees.
    What types would you choose?
    Ash, & Oak?
    Not sure what all is in your area.

All seasoned & you cut LOL :)
    Thistle, Shane N and TreePointer like this.
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

That hasn't been cut yet. ;lol
  9. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Must all be standing dead snags?

That would be a real bytch on the chainsaws...
  10. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    So, if the trees have 100 age rings they are 400 seasons old ?
    I guess that's pretty well seasoned.
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    That would be some very expensive wood. Either the guy has no idea what wood is worth or he is betting on some suckers. On the other hand, it would be nice if I could sell some wood that way for that price. ;)
  12. nate379

nate379 Guest

Call him up... My pickup holds 2 cords, is it still $40?

Reminds me of a guy my buddy bought wood from. We showed up there with a 4x8 U Haul, 4ft tall. (Held 1 cord).

The guy points to a little pile of wood "a cord". I got the trailer barely even 1/2 full... ok... where's the rest?

He had to go get his saw and cut more off the pile of logs he had. He was complaining the whole time that this was the biggest "cord" he ever sold and we were screwing him over, etc, etc, etc. Even after I explained to him several times that the trailer would hold exactly a cord.

Have had a few customers order 2-3 cords and when I drop it off they don't know what to do with all the wood. "I've been buying wood from xzy for years and I could never fill my shed with 3 cords"... (shed is completely full with my wood and there's still a big pile on the ground)
  13. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Here's a picture of 1/2 cord in a full size, long bed pickup.
    .5 cord in a truck 1.jpg
    TreePointer and milleo like this.
  14. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    I can put over 1/2cord(loose split) on my old short box sometimes close to 2/3 depends on moisture and distances - and barring others safety(short distance) I have loaded it over that.

I never go places that charge so can't help you out on that - lots of free BTU's down here
  15. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    Not a simple question at all, I have a 4X6 bed in my Chevy, I knew that I knew that I knew I could fit a full cord+ in there, I bet my buddies at work that I could do it.....yesterday I filled it up and then stacked it today, took measurements of the 2 stacks in inches and then using the cord calculator here......the results were.....2 stacks, one is 42"X67"X50"=.64cords.....the other stack is 12"X87"X100"=.47cords. .47X.64=1.11cords,

The secret is the rounds not being split on site and now that six pack my buddy bet me is going to taste extra good!
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...-this-day-our-daily-scounge-part-deux.108481/
  16. Havendalefarm

Havendalefarm Member

Loc:
    New Haven ,NY
    That is a bad deal for all, seller included. Buyer pays too much and seller lets his 70 acres of woods get destroyed by some fools "high grading" the easy firewood. I couldn't imagine letting folks in my woods to just pick and choose trees to cut.
    daveswoodhauler likes this.
  17. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    I did buy a pickup load my first year here - $40 for a shortbox load split/stacked for over a year- six miles from my house, and he helped me load it

Sounds like the guy wants deadfalls cleaned up or he has some trees marked.
    Even if there is a stack of cull logs waiting to be bucked up - $40 a load is too much
  18. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    Not sure what your wood prices are like, but up here $40 for a load of logs that equals near a cord is an ok deal....now, not if you have to down the tree and buck it, but if it is logs that have been limbed and its good wood? not bad
  19. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    It's $40/load and no way anyone is hauling near a cord of fresh cut oak in pickup(1/2cord is pushing it) - a 1T dump yeah but that's not what we're talking about

I can go cut in a nice dry level field where a fellow has a tree service dump his loads at no cost. He just wants the chips for mulching and improving his soil.
    Yeah I'm a bit spoiled take what I want and such... but if given the option who wouldn't?
    HDRock likes this.
  20. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Theres a guy 7 miles from me with a lot of land that hes clearing, he sells $40 a pick up truck full but cuts and splits the wood then piles it at the end of a long gravel road, you drive up and his son helps you load it. Not a bad deal, $80 a cord cut and split but when I got home and unloaded I noticed the kid threw some punky splits and some shorties in, I ended up with about 25 punky splits I tossed in the woods and about the same amount of shorties, those I put in my cookie bin. The rest was black birch and hickory so all in all not bad, I wouldnt pay $40 to cut myself though depending on where you live and how close it may not be a bad deal.
  21. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Yep, to far, to much.$, fell it ,limb it, buck it, load it to home, split it, I'll pass
    But $80 a cord cut and split is a good price
  22. Bret Chase

Bret Chase Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    Long ago, I put a 4500# dock leveler on a '88 chevy extended cab long box.... and drove it to it's destination...70 bales of hay on the same truck.... when it came to wood.... we kept piling until the axle hit the frame...

We finally had to retire that truck.... with 450k on the clock....
    to the OP.... stack that 5x10 2.5' high... you've got a cord.. for $40 go for it... unless you've got a Lowe's or TSC special.... the trailer will handle it just fine...
  23. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

And at least 5-6000 lbs of payload. That will kill any 3500lb single axle trailer in short order. Tires, bearings and axle will all be way over-loaded. Not to mention the truck brakes since I doubt the trailer will have functioning brakes.

Just not a safe/reasonable plan. To hell with the equipment damage. Just not worth the risk to yourself or anyone else on the road.
    basod and HDRock like this.
  24. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Yes sir, and even though the whole brake system on the ZJ is new, the brakes on the ZJs are not so great, to start with..
    I Over loaded that same trailer before (long time ago) towing with a big car, and almost flipped both !!!
  25. Bret Chase

Bret Chase Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    pshaaah.... I've got a 1500# 5X8 and a 3500# 5X10... I load each to the gunwales... and never worry about it.. I've had the 5X10 for 8 years..... the axle is still straight.. I did have to replace the rotted deck though... had the 5x8 for 2 years..... if I kill it.... I don't care.... it's already paid for it's existence...