Simpson Dura-Vent Problems!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedNeck Wrangler

Jun 6, 2008
"The Alton Bog" Maine
I installed my pellet stove the other day and I tested fired it again yesterday when I started smelling smoke. I found the elbow leaking at the seams where it's crimped together and pivots. I could not separate it because I used sealer when I assembled it, so I took everything back to Home Depot and got another through the wall kit. I installed it today. I checked it for leakes and found the elbow and tee both leaking this time. So I removed it and returned it again, now I'll try it a third time. All the leaks are where the pipes are crimped or riveted together. It seems to me the quality and workmanship is very poor.Has anyone else had problems with Simpson Dura-Vent? If you are installing it check very carefully for leaks.

CB1200 said:
I installed my pellet stove the other day and I tested fired it again yesterday when I started smelling smoke. I found the elbow leaking at the seams where it's crimped together and pivots. I could not separate it because I used sealer when I assembled it, so I took everything back to Home Depot and got another through the wall kit. I installed it today. I checked it for leakes and found the elbow and tee both leaking this time. So I removed it and returned it again, now I'll try it a third time. All the leaks are where the pipes are crimped or riveted together. It seems to me the quality and workmanship is very poor.Has anyone else had problems with Simpson Dura-Vent? If you are installing it check very carefully for leaks.
You got it!
I used Selkirk Metalbestos and had a similar experience. Lets face it, this PL stuff isn`t made as tight as one would believe it should be. The joints must be carefully sealed . I also appled aluminum foil tape over the sealant. I think it does in fact provide another level of protection from the occasional minor smoke seepage that can mainly occur on startup .

The problem was not at the joints, it was where crimps or rivets or the pivot section on the elbows were. I had all the joints sealed. Am I suppose to seal every seam, crimp or rivet? I don't think so. That would look like crap. I'm very worried about carbon monoxide.

CB1200 said:
The problem was not at the joints, it was where crimps or rivets or the pivot section on the elbows were. I had all the joints sealed. Am I suppose to seal every seam, crimp or rivet? I don't think so. That would look like crap. I'm very worried about carbon monoxide.
PL vent looks like crap anyway IMO. I think it could have been designed it better. It appears to be a 10 minute thought thrown together by a beginner but priced by Ali Babba and The Forty Thieves.
Add to this the high temp silicone wasn`t available in silver color, at least in my area.
Regardless, I sealed every crimp and joint. Not even a hint of a whisp of smoke . It`s not that pretty but the foil tape improves things.
Anyway ,I`m looking for heat mainly and not beauty but it does look OK, I guess.
Seal everything. It won`t hurt.

Gio said:
CB1200 said:
PL vent looks like crap anyway IMO. I think it could have been designed better. It appears to be a 10 minute thought thrown together by a beginner but priced by Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves.
Add to this the high temp silicone wasn`t available in silver color, at least in my area.
Regardless, I sealed every crimp and joint. Not even a hint of a whisp of smoke . It`s not that pretty but the foil tape improves things.
Anyway ,I`m looking for heat mainly and not beauty but it does look OK, I guess.
Seal everything. It won`t hurt.
Whoops, I`m repeating myself. Sorry.

Seal every seam, joint, pivot, T, smooth it with your finger and paint it all black, and don't stare at it when you walk by.

Only as a suggestion, but would'nt it also help to put a good silicone caulk seal on the inside joints of the pipe? I know that my Pellet Vent Pro "T" with cleanout had gobbs of red high-temp silicone on all the inside joints.

Steve

I have a new system with the 6" Duraflex, is that the same or similar to DuraVent? I'll do a search on the web to see if DuraFlex is by Simpson.

My new insert/chimney has not be tested yet, way too hot.

Edit: I see Dura Flex Dura Vent are both by Simpson I'd guess the Dura Flex refers to the flexible liner pipel

My dealer has gone through 3 or 4 leaking Duravent elbows...he even got one "custom pressure tested" from Simpson -- to no avail. Based on my experience, Duravent is junk. We now have Excel materials on order as my dealer is replacing the whole piping system. We'll see if Excel works out better.

BXpellet said:
Seal every seam, joint, pivot, T, smooth it with your finger and paint it all black, and don't stare at it when you walk by.

We have a winner!

Everyone I have had or installed leak at this spot. They make high temp silicone in black or clear. Use that and you will be fine.

Now I'm worried. Is the problem "elbow" the same as or similar to the connector for the flex pipe to the top of an Insert (in my case the Quadrafire 4100-I)? I had the insert "professionally" installed and I did watch that connections step. The installer put on a heavy coat of some kind of caulk (high temperature, I'm sure), so thick he used a broad "spatula" to spread it out. I think he then used some tape. Maybe he knows this to be a problem area.

I think this is one of the reasons that Dura Vent went to the Pellet Vent Pro. Much better quality.

Eric

I noticed the HD in my area does not carry Pellet Vent Pro. I bought Pro online, it looks good compared to the regular Simpson Vent in HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.