simpson sent me damaged pipe &#@!%& :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdurando

Feb 24, 2008
Hamilton NJ
Well this weekends project was to install my Simpson duratech chimney that i have been waiting over 6 weeks to get. 2 items were on back order and they finally came in. i picked up everything and was set to go, hopefully I'll be burning by Monday, i thought. well today i opened all the boxes to find two of the 60" sections of class A had nice big dents in them. this pipe only has a 1" thick layer of insulation so i don't think i can use this stuff because the dents are pretty deep. i suspect they will be willing to exchange the damaged pipe but what really pisses me off is these pipes come with packing foam on top and bottom and the box was in perfect condition. which means the damage occured prior to packing and they shipped it anyway. at this rate it will be spring before i'm up and running.

Did Simpson ship this or was it from a reseller? If reseller, the pipe likely got handled a few times since leaving Simpson. Each time is an opportunity for a dent if the handler is careless.

Usually pipe ships from the factory in palette loads and they are relatively protected by the mass of pipes. But when shipped in individual lengths, they become more vulnerable. Hard to say what happened to the pipe, but cardboard will flex and bounce back into shape, so it might have been ok from the factory.

FWIW, we had double-boxed and foam wrapped glassware break when shipped this Christmas.

Well that is a good point i don't know how many people handled the pipe. i'm just pissed the my project is going to be delayed again. The gas bill came in today too adding fuel the fire so to speak.

My double wall simpson telesocping slip joint has been dented since new. It's on the back and not too deep so I just lived with it. The class A is super expensive and is compromised by deep dents so I would get it replaced. Maybe you'll get a priority since it was a reorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.