simpson/stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclone

May 20, 2008
North East Pennsylvania
simpson/dura vent stove pipe

Anybody use this stove pipe???

I went to home depot to purchase stove pipe and this is what they carry.

I spoke to one of the employeies and he said this is what a lot of people are use now.

If you are not familiar with this brand I will explain:

It comes in sections of 24 inches and is already assembled. Not like the usuall stove pipe where you must snap together. It also has no crimped ends but has arrow of direction for the stove pipe to point down.

Is this pipe worth the couple extra bucks???

If you read a bit you will find that this is one of the major brands that folks use - partly b/c Lowes and HD carry it. Is this the Double Wall (DVL) you are talking about? They should come in different lengths than just the 24" - but maybe HD doesnt carry much but those??

I have the simpson Class A chimney pipe which is a double wall insulated chimney pipe.....not stove pipe. For stove pipe I just use the standard single wall 24 gage pipe you can get at any hardware store.

As for the Simpson Class A chimney pipe, I find it to be a quality product. Well designed and built. I only needed three 36" sections of it combined with their "Chimney Kit" (which was also top quality) for my setup.

This is single wall stove pipe 24 guage. It comes or they had it in two lengths. I am using this stove pipe to vent from my Harman tl 300. I will need two sections of the black stove pipe that measure the 24 inches. Some of this will need to be cut down and will also be using an elbow to go into the clay thimble that is connected to a masonary chimney.

What is the double wall and can this be cut into desire section. Can i also use this?? is this better??

They also claim they have a lock system. when cut does this lock in place still??

I have a picture of my installation on the PERFECT PICTURE page under TL 300 (MURRY)

Murry, I have used both the Simpson Dura-Vent single and double wall pipe in the last three years. This year I installed my new TL 300 with the double wall pipe. This stuff comes in sections that are expandable and cannot be cut. So you can adjust them for length. I think they come in three different lengths. The bottom piece fits inside the top piece and they slide in and out for length. I also used 2, 45 degree angle pieces and they all needed to be screwed together as with the single wall stuff I used prior. I did not know they make stuff that snaps together. Although some parts with the new pipe uses a snap ring called a snap connector that connects the double wall pipe to the support box (or as some call a thimble) that holds the chimney. But I am sure this is only for applications that the support box, chimney and connector pipe are all of the same Simpson brand. The single wall pipe has a male and female end. The male end I cut with a standard grinder. As for double wall being better???? In close clearances I think you can get this stuff down to like six inches. There are some draft benefits that because its double wall you loose less heat to the room which should increase your draft. But then again thats less heat to the room. Its all in what you want or need as far as clearances with the pipe. Also, the double wall is stainless steel and comes with the same warranty as my Simpson chimney.

Okay, so this is my setup....Tell me if this will work and is correct. My stove is perpendicular with the thimble diecrtly behind the stove. I will have to come up from the stove about twenty inches conect the elbow and go into the thimble from there.

I did not know this was adjustable stove pipe. You said it is adjustable for the single wall 24 quage. How does it Adjust??? No cutting required???

If you want to look at my set-up it is on The PERFECT PICTURE page under TL 300.

Thanks Again

Murry, after my last post I spent some time thinking about my old single wall set up. The information I gave you was incorrect. I did not cut the male end of the pipe. I dont believe that even the single wall can be cut. I used a slip pipe to go from the single wall pipe to the support box for the chimney. That was the part that I was able to cut. The slip pipe is nothing more than a pipe that does not have a male or female end that slips inside the end of the single wall and runs into your thimble and slips inside it. It is used to take up the remaining space between the thimble and the end of the single wall connector. Hope that helps and sounds like it may work in your situation. As far as the pipe being adjustable, I would imagine it works the same as my double wall pipe. Just slides together and can be pulled apart or pushed together for length. Check out the web site linked above. I just used two standard 24 inch sections with the slip pipe to the support box.

Status
Not open for further replies.