simpsons model 48 - 8 and how to keep from burning down my ice shack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saskatchewan

Jan 19, 2016
Saskatchewan Canada
Hey, I'm just starting out with burning wood after getting my dad's old cook stove to build an ice shack around. I know very little but have been reading around for the last week trying to figure it out. I haven't fired it up yet but it looks to be in good condition too me. What do I need underneath something like this? Right now it's just on a sheet of permabase cement board, which I just learned evaporates the Styrofoam inside out at 220f. Seeing that the cement board was fire rated I thought it would be a good idea to put it around the stove but now it's not seeming too great. My plan has evolved into putting some 16 ga steel 9 inches away from my single wall stove pipe with a 1 inch air gap between it and the cement board on the wall.
A foot below the roof I have it adapted to double wall 2 inch thick duravent.
My plan is to take that through the roof with roxul insulation surrounding it filling my 2 inch combustible gap and a steel plate on the roof to maintain the 2 inches. The inside of the roof also lined with roxul and will be covered with 16 ga steel.
Does this sound like a good enough plan or do I need some revisions? This is just an ice shack so laws, insurance, and codes shouldn't really apply.
Thanks for your help and hopefully I can continue to learn from your community.
http://tinypic.com/r/x37j9d/9 here's a picture of the stove

Last edited:
Durock NexGen has perlite in it which is high temp. Using sheet steel on 1" spacers leaving it open and inch at top and bottom will work for a heat shield. The chimney pipe is not supposed to have insulation around it up in the flashing, but roxul is at least a safer product to use.

Durock NexGen has perlite in it which is high temp. Using sheet steel on 1" spacers leaving it open and inch at top and bottom will work for a heat shield. The chimney pipe is not supposed to have insulation around it up in the flashing, but roxul is at least a safer product to use.
Thanks for the reply. So 2" of air between the osb and the chimney is better than 2" of roxul? If so I can just leave the insulation out of that part

Status
Not open for further replies.