Singed Clothing on Insert Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdp1152

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2012
Massachusetts
I wasn't paying attention while closing the insert door a few minutes ago and brushed my elbow up against the exterior glass. Didn't even notice anything other than foul odor of burning plastic. My fleece has now left a hardened residue on the outside of the glass.

Any advice on what my next steps are here? I tried wet paper towels, rotating to new ones as they got hot, but no luck. Shut her down and try alcohol/scraping when she's cool?

I wasn't paying attention while closing the insert door a few minutes ago and brushed my elbow up against the exterior glass. Didn't even notice anything other than foul odor of burning plastic. My fleece has now left a hardened residue on the outside of the glass.

Any advice on what my next steps are here? I tried wet paper towels, rotating to new ones as they got hot, but no luck. Shut her down and try alcohol/scraping when she's cool?
I had something stuck hard on a small part of my glass when it was first installed that couldn't come off with normal cleaning. I used a razor blade and scraped it off successfully with no scratching. Others may have some other suggestions. That glass seems to be pretty resilient. If you try that, start slowly to be sure it's going to work.

Whatever you do, don't use an abrasive pad. You can damage the Pyroceram & weaken it by scratching...
If you use a razor blade, make sure you push the blade into the residue. Lead with the sharp edge & do not move it from side-to-side, or you can damage it the same way as with an abrasive pad. I would suggest that you wear an oven mitt & try to remove as much as you can while it's hot...

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Problem pseudo solved. Seems this is not an uncommon problem with glass stove tops.

Used a metal spatula to get the bigger bits off, then a wet newspaper with ashes to clean her up. Letting the glass cool down a bit more before completely finishing. Sweating like crazy.

Now if only the stench of burning whatever synthetic material fleece is made from would dissipate quickly

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Whatever you do, don't use an abrasive pad. You can damage the Pyroceram & weaken it by scratching...
If you use a razor blade, make sure you push the blade into the residue. Lead with the sharp edge & do not move it from side-to-side, or you can damage it the same way as with an abrasive pad. I would suggest that you wear an oven mitt & try to remove as much as you can while it's hot...

Wow, so I feel really stupid right now. For the past few years I have been burning, I have always used a brillo pad I have kept by my stove to wipe off ash. I haven't noticed any damage or difference, but I suppose I will switch to a damp paper towel/cloth from now on. Is there any chance my glass is made of something different, or are they all made of pyroceram?

The biggest lesson to take away from this is the danger that synthetic materials pose when when subjected to high heat or flame; it could has easily melted to your skin ar even flashed. Natural fibers such as cotton, leather, etc., are a much safer alternative.

Wow, so I feel really stupid right now. For the past few years I have been burning, I have always used a brillo pad I have kept by my stove to wipe off ash. I haven't noticed any damage or difference, but I suppose I will switch to a damp paper towel/cloth from now on. Is there any chance my glass is made of something different, or are they all made of pyroceram?

It's ALL Pyroceram. Tempered glass is used in fire place doors, but TG will not stand up to the heat produced by an airtight firebox. You also want to avoid any ammonia based glass cleaners...

Once I got the bulk of the large material off w/ spatula, I fired the box back up to routine levels and by the end of the night the finer bits were completely gone.

Once I got the bulk of the large material off w/ spatula, I fired the box back up to routine levels and by the end of the night the finer bits were completely gone.

So, do you get a new shirt after this?

Status
Not open for further replies.