1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Singed Clothing on Insert Glass

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jdp1152, Nov 16, 2012.

1. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I wasn't paying attention while closing the insert door a few minutes ago and brushed my elbow up against the exterior glass. Didn't even notice anything other than foul odor of burning plastic. My fleece has now left a hardened residue on the outside of the glass.

Any advice on what my next steps are here? I tried wet paper towels, rotating to new ones as they got hot, but no luck. Shut her down and try alcohol/scraping when she's cool?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    I had something stuck hard on a small part of my glass when it was first installed that couldn't come off with normal cleaning. I used a razor blade and scraped it off successfully with no scratching. Others may have some other suggestions. That glass seems to be pretty resilient. If you try that, start slowly to be sure it's going to work.
  3. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Whatever you do, don't use an abrasive pad. You can damage the Pyroceram & weaken it by scratching...
    If you use a razor blade, make sure you push the blade into the residue. Lead with the sharp edge & do not move it from side-to-side, or you can damage it the same way as with an abrasive pad. I would suggest that you wear an oven mitt & try to remove as much as you can while it's hot...
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Problem pseudo solved. Seems this is not an uncommon problem with glass stove tops.

Used a metal spatula to get the bigger bits off, then a wet newspaper with ashes to clean her up. Letting the glass cool down a bit more before completely finishing. Sweating like crazy.

Now if only the stench of burning whatever synthetic material fleece is made from would dissipate quickly
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  5. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
  6. jwoair23

jwoair23 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wow, so I feel really stupid right now. For the past few years I have been burning, I have always used a brillo pad I have kept by my stove to wipe off ash. I haven't noticed any damage or difference, but I suppose I will switch to a damp paper towel/cloth from now on. Is there any chance my glass is made of something different, or are they all made of pyroceram?
  7. rijim

rijim Member

Loc:
    RI
    The biggest lesson to take away from this is the danger that synthetic materials pose when when subjected to high heat or flame; it could has easily melted to your skin ar even flashed. Natural fibers such as cotton, leather, etc., are a much safer alternative.
  8. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    It's ALL Pyroceram. Tempered glass is used in fire place doors, but TG will not stand up to the heat produced by an airtight firebox. You also want to avoid any ammonia based glass cleaners...
  9. jdp1152

jdp1152 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    Once I got the bulk of the large material off w/ spatula, I fired the box back up to routine levels and by the end of the night the finer bits were completely gone.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    So, do you get a new shirt after this?