single cage vs. dual cage blower: does it matter? - cw2900i vs 1800i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanG

Feb 25, 2015
Charlottesville, VA
Hi all,

I've decided that I'm going with either the Drolet 1800i or the Century Heat CW2900i. Both stoves are made by SBI in Quebec. After speaking with SBI and reviewing both manuals I am convinced that they are indeed the same exact stove save for the blower that is sold with them and the surrounds that each one has.

I'm getting closer to finalizing the purchase but have a decision to make. The Drolet 1800i has a dual cage blower with a thermodisk to automatically turn on the fan. The Century Heat cw2900i has a single cage blower without a thermodisk. Both are 120 CFM blowers I believe, but the 2900i may be 130 CFM. According to SBI I cannot buy a Drolet Fan and mount it to the Century Heat insert even thought they are the same exact insert according to them. Insurance etc....

The 2900i is on sale for $1050 and is in stock at Northern Tool. The 1800i is out of stock everywhere online (I'm in Virginia and can't buy from Menards or other stores in the Mid West/West). The ship date is mid November. I think I'll be wanting my stove before then but again, I'm in Virginia and it could be 80 F in November.

So, I'm sure everyone will have an opinion about single cage vs. dual cage blowers and I'd like to hear them. Basically, I'm trying to decide if I should wait for a blower with a themodisk so that I can let the stove determine when the blower should be on/off.

The only down side I see that stems from not having a thermodisk is that during the night the area where a thermodisk would be reading stove temps may drop below 110 F (the temp which SBI said the fans kick in and turn off) and start to blow cool air. Or air that doesn't feel warm. I guess I really don't see much difference between that and a heat pump that blows air that is only a few degrees above the Tstat temp.

At any rate, I would love to hear everyone's ideas on this matter.

Cheers,

Sean

FYI: After some digging I found that SBI sells a Thermosdisk kit for about $20 that you can attach to the blower on the CW2900. This will turn the blower into a heat activated/deactivated blower in about an hours time.

Not to mention I just realized that Northern Tool has four stores within an hours drive from my house which means I can ship the CW2900 to the store for free and they will load it into my van. From there I can back into the garage and then just have to get it up three stairs to the stove room.

I'm getting closer...

Thanks begreen but I think I'm sold on the CW2900. Century also has a $100 rebate through October and with free shipping to the store near me and the fact that the surround is included I've made up my mind. Especially since the thermodisk can be added without voiding the warranty (according to SBI's tech support).

From all that I have read and seen online, these two stoves are identical save for the door handle, the door mounting hardware, the surround and the blower. The door may be different but it's hard to tell in the photo. SBI doesn't really want to say they are the same stove but after speaking with two of their tech support folks and a customer service rep I put the pieces together myself. I think they are both great no frills stoves that will get the job done.

No problem. I was just curious if this is a national shortage on the Drolet insert. You should be quite happy with the Century.

One of the things I hated about my old stove was the fan running even after the fire was out. Thermal disc thermostats are about $15 and can easily be added to any stove. On when hot and off when cool. Would not have it any other way.

My older Russo has a manual/auto switch. I sometimes use manual when burning pellet cages or pine as they heat up faster, auto on seems to lag a bit. After a an hour or so I switch to auto. I do forgot sometimes, but it's in a heavy traffic area, so someone turns it off.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. I'm looking forward to a) buying the stove and b) adding the thermodisk. Going to be a busy few weeks getting everything prepared for the install. Will post pics and a review once its all set up.

I think I will be happy with the 2900 as well.

BTW, there is a national shortage on the Drolet 1800i. It's backordered by 67 units and the 2900 is backordered by 24 units according to SBI. However, some retailers have a few of the 2900's in stock. The ship dates for the 1800 is mid November. Not sure about the 2900. They come out of the same factory I think. At least the firebox does.

Sean,

I just had a Century 2900 installed this past October. Very pleased with its performance. No real cold weather as of yet but the fires I've built were top notch and left very little ash. The blower on high is a little loud but not a nuisance and probably won't have to use it on high as on low it heated my 1400 sq ft house really well with temps dropping down to 32 that night. I like being able to burn short pieces of wood, 16 and under, north to south. Also the wood length of 20 inches east to west is nice. Time will tell but as of now I see nothing to dislike about the Century 2900. I got it from Menards delivered for 1400.
Cade

Thanks for the update Cade. My 2900 is sitting in the garage awaiting installation this weekend. Just in time for some cooler temps her in Virginia. Can't wait to fire it up for the first time. Did it smell much during the break in fires?

Status
Not open for further replies.