Single, Double, or Triple wall liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garandpa

Dec 1, 2014
Davisburg, Michigan
I bought a Lopi Answer woodstove that I want to use as an insert. The instructions that came with the stove don't really say whether to use a single, double, or triple wall liner for my chimney, which is 12 x 12 masonry. I know what the answer will be if I ask our local fireplace store, but I'm curious what I really need. The article section didn't shed much light on it either. What say you forum?

Roy

You're planning on running a SS flex liner in the existing mason flue, correct? There are many manufacturers of this stuff and they all advertise a little differently but I don't recall ever seeing triple wall flex liner. Some sell pre-insulated while others recommend fiberglass wrap or pour down insulation. I bought the best liner I could get from chimneylinerdepot.com (advertised as double wall I think) and I have to say the stuff was incredibly easy to use. I opted for a pour down insulation because I needed an 8" oval liner at the time and there simply wasn't room for the fiberglass wrap. So really the grade you choose is up to you as long as it's rated for wood stoves.

while others recommend fiberglass wrap
No no manufacturer recommends fiberglass wrap and fiberglass should never be used in a chimney. I feel the best liner available for wood is the heavy wall flex liner. Then the mid weight that has the same construction as the heavy wall then a light wall welded seam then light wall crimped seam then the double layer smooth wall stuff. Rigd liners are very good products but they are a pain to install and in my opinion don't give you much gain in durability over heavy flex Although it is a little cheaper I dont install it anymore. And as always i would always recommend insulation and in most cases it is required for ul listing and by code

My vote is for double wall, pre-insulated rigid. I have it, and love it. I do have 5' of flex at the bottom to the insert though.
I installed mine myself and have installed several flex liners for other members. I'll take the rigid any day. Easy to install in my opinion. And much sturdier. Easy to clean, no corrugations to collect crud, and no corrugations to grab the brush bristles. If you can afford it, I would go with the rigid. Def not cheaper than flex, but pre-insulated and much sturdier, win win.

Yeah i forgot that one HW that seems like good stuff to we just never use it so i dont think of it. But in the right situation it seems like it would work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.