Single loop system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveGH

Mar 23, 2009
Lakeside, AZ
I am lucky to have all this expertise available to bounce ideas off of. I've got a question for the group about doing an install with just a single loop, ie no heat exchanger just a manifold. The positives I know are lower cost and less complicated install, but am curious about negatives. I've talked to Precision Chem Water Treatment who said one negative might be that any problems that might develope in the Garn itself due its openness, i.e. bacteria or fungal growth, would spread through the whole system, which admittedly wouldn't be that hard to treat by adjusting chemicals. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on the issue.

A little backround, the install will be in Lakeside, AZ. Yes a Garn in AZ...I believe I'll have the first. I'll be using a 1500 for heating 2400 sq ft, DMW and a hot tub. The house heat will be primarily radiators/wall panels with possibly some radient floor due to lack of wall space in some rooms. My wife and I designed and built our dream home almost 10 years ago without thinking about hydronic heat, a mistake I'm paying for now. The home is currently heated with propane forced air. My plan is to have two independent systems. Did I mention that I'm a retail pharmacist with no hydronic heating experience. I figure with my desire to learn, and this group, I'm in for a grand time.

I think you might want to rephrase your question a bit. You may be misusing a term or two, which is confusing us or at least me. Here is my answer to the best that I can understand your question. I have a single loop heat system with monoflo tees(no manifold or heat exchangers. It works well, is cheap and the only drawback is lack of heat zoning. As far as the openess of the garn, I have no idea what you mean by that. Hope this helps a little.

The Garn is not pressurised, open.

What do you intend using for back up?

Status
Not open for further replies.