Single or Double-ply Chimney Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mnowaczyk

Feeling the Heat
Feb 19, 2009
Delaware
I didn't even know they made double ply flex liner. It looks like the double- ply would be easier to sweep with it's smoother inner wall. I guess if I were re-lining 45' of chimney I'd be tempted to go with that (or the rigid stuff).

Brother Bart replaced a double wall flex with a single wall flex. You may want to PM him on the details why.
I believe the double wall is less flexible also. Might make for tougher install if the old chimney isn't very straight.

Double wall seems like a fad, their would be no reason to use it quite like using .007 instead of .005 sometimes people offer it as a "pricier" solution but most people don't know that to roll material down from .006 to .005 makes the .005 actually more valuable.

I'm bumping this back TTT as I too am interested in the pros/cons of each.

The double wall liners are extremely tough. They have a corrugated outer liner that is the same as a single wall liner and a almost smooth inner layer. They are around .14 inches thick. The two problems I had with one was that because of the overall thickness it would not fit down my tile lined chimney necessitating "ovalizing" it slightly. Doing this causes the lamination of some of the inside layer to separate. On top of that I had a crack in the firebox of my old insert and didn't know it. I had two runaway fires in the insert immediately after installing the liner caused by both the crack and the increased draft. Since the laminations were separated and the liner had been subjected to monster temps twice I replaced it with new single wall liner when I replaced the stove.

If you have the room to fit the double wall liner, unaltered, down a chimney I think the things are great. Be sure that the lamination is oriented correctly, that being the seams on the lamination is in the opposite direction of the flue gas flow and keep in mind that the stuff is really really stiff. I had to push mine up from the bottom because it was too stiff to uncoil enough on the roof to go from the top down.

I installed Duraliner in one chimney for my Castine. I installed the Heavy duty oval flex liner through the damper. I forget which one of our members recommended that but I could not see attaching a simple liner like the one in my other chimney to the Duraliner and down to the Castine. I made the right choice as it is significantly higher in quality.

Are all of these the same?
1) Duraliner (referenced by Wet1 )
2) Double wall liner (referenced by BrotherBart)
3) Double-ply (sold on eBay link in intial post of this thread)

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-x-50-Double-P...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

It sounds as if this job is going to be difficult enough with any type of liner let alone a double-ply flex. I've considered using rigid due to the accessibility of the top of my chimney, (See picture.) ... assuming it would be easier to connect rigid atop the chimney than strighten flex at the top of the chimney.

Thanks everyone. Hearth.com is GREAT!

Numbers 2 and 3 above are the same thing. Duraliner is different.

mnowaczyk said:
Are all of these the same?
1) Duraliner (referenced by Wet1 )
2) Double wall liner (referenced by BrotherBart)
3) Double-ply (sold on eBay link in intial post of this thread)

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-x-50-Double-P...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

It sounds as if this job is going to be difficult enough with any type of liner let alone a double-ply flex. I've considered using rigid due to the accessibility of the top of my chimney, (See picture.) ... assuming it would be easier to connect rigid atop the chimney than strighten flex at the top of the chimney.

Thanks everyone. Hearth.com is GREAT!

Duraliner is Double Walled rigid pipe with insulation in between. I sued it for my Castine to help with draft and reduce creosote - and because I got a good price on some parts. Put it together with rivets - pretty simple but you need a buddy to help as it gets heavy when you send it down the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.