single or double wall flex liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firemn260

Sep 20, 2014
maryland
I'm ordering my liner today. It will be 25' of 8" flex for a insert. I just can't decide if I want the single wall or the smooth lined double wall. Has to be flex to go through a offset It will be insulated with 1\2" either way. I have been scouring this forum for pros and cons of each.
I've read that the single wall could possibly build up creosote quicker and make cleaning more difficult but cheaper.
I also read some people having issues with the inside of the double wall coming apart.

I just need some last minute opinions before I pull the trigger. Thank you so much.

Dont get the double walled crap get either single light wall liner of what i prefer single heavywall liner that is smooth wall as well.

I went for the smooth-wall flex on both of mine. Yes, you have to be a little careful with treatment of the ends, lest they unravel on you. If I were to do again, I'd probably save a few bucks and go single wall, but I wanted to give the smooth wall a try, based on a few positive reviews I had seen here. I also blanket-wrap insulated both liners.

Does anyone have experience with the pre-insulated liner that Fireside Chimney offers?

I have not used any preinsulated liners yet but i have seen them they they are not nearly as flexible as a plain liner and about the same as a wrapped one but should either pull or drop in much easier

Looks like a decent product. If their service is good, which the letters on their site seem to indicate, then it could be a nice deal.

I emailed them asking about the inner liner wall thickness and received a very quick response (it's .006). So I am going to go ahead and order it. Just need to verify my chimney height first. I will let you guys know how it works out.

Mike

Yup, don't waste your money on a double wall liner, I did, wish I hadn't. I mean it works and all...but they definitely are not smooth inside after being coiled up.
I also installed a 6" preinsulated liner last year (Magnaflex, which I think was bought out by Fireside, or something like that) I like it, not quite as flexible as a single wall uninsulated liner, but if you work with it patiently, you still can work it around a pretty good corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.