Single or double wall flue pipe for Tarm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dogwood

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2009
Western VA
Do you think there would be any significant advantage in going with double rather than single wall flue pipe from my Tarm to the SuperVent chimney, other than a decreased clearance to combustibles? Supevent chimney is double wall. The six inch flue will run about 8 feet (four vertical plus four horizontal) into about 22 vertical feet of SuperVent double wall chimney.

Also, if anyone knows of a better buy than Menard's for either Selkirk's SuperVent or their DSP double wall flue pipe, please let me know. Should be ordering next couple of days or so. Thanks.

P.S. In light of all the attention the movie Avatar is recieving, I figured out how to add my own avatar picture to the left. It's a view from our front door of Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains.

Mike

In theory the double wall will keep your flue temps up longer, thus reducing creosote buildup... Given that this isn't much of an issue with a properly run boiler, I'd say that the reduced clearance would be the biggest advantage...

The flip side might also be worth considering - 8' of flue pipe is a pretty good amount of radiating surface, how much extra heat do you want in the boiler room? If boiler room heating is an issue, you might stay cooler if you use double wall, or warmer w/ single...

Gooserider

If your install is in a cold atmosphere then go with insulated pipe. This will help with condensing of your pipe.

Rob

Thanks Gooserider and Taxidermist, good points to think over before contacting Menard's.

Mike

When laying out your pipe don't forget to allow for a clean out, I don't get creosote but I do need to get in to get out the fly ash. You probably want some black in there. A tee with a cap may be near the stove ? The other with the stainless pipe is it's heavy and always seems to get dented. Check the boxes before they go in the back of your truck.
I found these guys and they were good to deal with. This heat fab pipe is really nice. Single wall, no seams, very heavy.
http://www.hartshearth.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=212
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.