single or double wall stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DItR

Jan 12, 2016
Colorado
Does a noticeable amount of heat radiate from the single wall vs. double wall?
I know you can achieve closer clearance with double wall but the thought of useable heat going up the chimney doesn't feel right.
Thoughts/experience?
Thanks,
JQ

Does a noticeable amount of heat radiate from the single wall vs. double wall?
I know you can achieve closer clearance with double wall but the thought of useable heat going up the chimney doesn't feel right.
Yes single wall will radiate more heat but you should be heating with the stove and sending as little heat up that stack as possible. When you start to do that you dont want to loose and more heat from the stack

In Colorado one often needs to improve draft due to the higher altitude. If the flue system is on the short side and less than 18' draft may be weak. Keeping the stack gases hotter will help draft. The higher the altitude the more this becomes important, particularly with modern stoves.

I've always said I wouldn't worry about the little bit of extra heat that would radiate off single wall pipe since I heat with my woodstove -- not the stove pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.