Single or double wall stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not worried about the pipe burning out - I've seen nothing to indicate the single wall I have is going to do that.

I'm rather hoping that one of the overly anal types here has gone through the trouble of sticking thermal probes into their pipes and measured how much is lost in 3' of single wall then swapped out for double wall and measured again :) I figure with someone(s) sticking their wood into the microwave to dry it out and spending years weighing splits to see how dry they can get it there just might be someone who has done this.... or perhaps may be so inclined if they read the idea. I don't have the time/patience/level of interest/equipment to do it... ok, I do have the probes, but I don't have time to do it.

After you have read a billion posts about drafts, flue temps, single wall, double wall, my stove dont work posts plus my own expeirance with single wall I have come to the conclusion on a short run the gain is minimal at best. Overly anal types? :)

oldspark said:
I will add if you are willing to spend the money and you think you need it by all means put it in, just dont listen to the hype of the single wall pipe does not last long, I have seen sites that say you hae to change it out every few years and that is just some one who knows nothing about wood burning. If you have to change out your pipe that often you are burning with out a brain, I dont think even the cheapest pipe wont burn out that quick.
That's a great way to get new interest in this site! Just because you have had great success with single wall doesn't mean that it's superior or that ones who have had to replace their single wall pipe don't have a brain.

webby3650 said:
oldspark said:
I will add if you are willing to spend the money and you think you need it by all means put it in, just dont listen to the hype of the single wall pipe does not last long, I have seen sites that say you hae to change it out every few years and that is just some one who knows nothing about wood burning. If you have to change out your pipe that often you are burning with out a brain, I dont think even the cheapest pipe wont burn out that quick.
That's a great way to get new interest in this site! Just because you have had great success with single wall doesn't mean that it's superior or that ones who have had to replace their single wall pipe don't have a brain.
OK, you took my post wrong, it was from a site that was selling double wall pipe not from here, do I have to explain everything, my post says "I have seen sites that say you have to change it out every couple of years", and if you have to change your single wall pipe out every couple of years it probably means you are burning with wet wood and how do we feel about that? I never said it was superior to double wall any where at any point in time.

All in all, if safety was your primary concern, would double wall pipe be best even if the connector would only be 2 feet straight up from the stove, then a 90, then approx 1 foot to the thimble?

All in all, if safety was your primary concern, would double wall pipe be best even if the connector would only be 2 feet straight up from the stove, then a 90, then approx 1 foot to the thimble?
If you don't need the pipe for clearance issues you wont gain any thing.

Absolutely. If safety was your primary concern then you would go for double wall even if it was only 6". Is the safety improvement enough to justify the cost? Well that would require that cost or value become a primary concern.

Absolutely. If safety was your primary concern then you would go for double wall even if it was only 6". Is the safety improvement enough to justify the cost? Well that would require that cost or value become a primary concern.

I think I might start a new thread with a few photos of my set up and listen to all your thoughts. Safety IS a big concern for me.

Recently got freaked by a house just down the road from me burning down due to shotty setup of a woodstove. Not sure of all the details yet but it is clear that the owner should have taken more care with setting up his stove system. Scary stuff! A wake up call to make sure I have done everything I can to establish safety.

Good plan, this thread is a year old.

I put single wall in the cabin simply to take advantage of all the BTU's I could. It's a straight shot, 18' total length from flue collar to top of (double wall) chimney. I've never had a problem with draft, even when it's in the 50s outside.

I think I might start a new thread with a few photos of my set up and listen to all your thoughts. Safety IS a big concern for me.

Recently got freaked by a house just down the road from me burning down due to shotty setup of a woodstove. Not sure of all the details yet but it is clear that the owner should have taken more care with setting up his stove system. Scary stuff! A wake up call to make sure I have done everything I can to establish safety.

If saftey was a major concern and yoiu are a little freaked out I would not put in a wood burner period.
Installed correctly single wall is as safe as double wall.

Thank you for your concern oldspark.

I was being serious, correctly installed wood burners are safe if run correctly with both types of stove pipe.
If you are that worried about it I would be apprehensive about installing one.
Sorry if you misunderstood.

Safety is relative to the individual. For example, a double-wall pipe is going to give you safer protection against burns if you accidentally touch it. It all depends on how one define 'safe'.

Safety is relative to the individual. For example, a double-wall pipe is going to give you safer protection against burns if you accidentally touch it. It all depends on how one define 'safe'.

I though about that aspect BG but then I figured with the hot stove right there it made little difference.

I was being serious, correctly installed wood burners are safe if run correctly with both types of stove pipe.
If you are that worried about it I would be apprehensive about installing one.
Sorry if you misunderstood.

Oh no, I appreciated your comment. I took it to mean I should proceed with caution. That is GOOD advise.

As it turns out, I grew up with wood heat, was responsible for tending the fire from the age of 13 (Dad was a stickler for doing things right - shouldn't see billowing smoke out of the chimney. If he came home to see a smoking chimney or a cold house, it got very tense to say the least). Much of my adult life I've heated with wood in various houses I've rented through out New England. And now beginning our 2nd year in OUR OWN home, first year with an EPA stove, and having a 5 y/o daughter, I have more to lose today… But we have been heating safely with wood this season and last.

When I can get away from my studio for a little while, I'm going to photograph what I have installed and share it in a new thread. My only thinking was if it was possible that double wall was in fact safer, maybe I should go that route.

Hope that makes sense.

Now I understand, not sure what you woud gain from the double wall unless you have clearence issues but piece of mind is priceless.

Reactions: Christopix

Also, with a stainless steel interior pipe the double wall will last forever and you won't ever have to worry about it falling apart. My neighbors only get three years out of single wall before they can poke a finger through it. Not cool. I expect to get more than three years but I know that mild steel pipe exposed to wet, heat, and a corrosive gas will have a short lifetime and that is a safety issue.

Now I understand, not sure what you woud gain from the double wall unless you have clearence issues but piece of mind is priceless.
There are several safety advantages to double-wall pipe. Like highbeam mentioned, it is superior construction. Also, you gain higher flue gas temps which can reduce creosote accumulation, reduce puffbacks and the chance of reverse draft.

So basically, double wall won't really do anything to make the stove install any safer provided clearance regs are observed with single wall.

Let me ask this, again, I should really start that new thread: How likely is a adjustable 90 elbow to fail when temps are at the high end of the Rutland thermometer? When I get the stove going, the fire can really get roaring and I know flame might sneak up toward that elbow. If it failed, it would basically shoot flaming mayhem up to the basement unfinished-celling.

I think what is happening is that I'm 2nd guessing the preciseness of my install. While I have experience burning wood, this was my first install. I know I did it correctly but I'm wondering if I could have done it better somehow… I got to start that new thread. Will do when I get detailed pictures.

Broken record here, I have 30 yer old stove pipe being used in the shop right now, good regular pipe last for ever.
If you have short run of flue pipe the double wall dont gain much if any thing.
Some of these stoves run with high flue temps and no need for double wall.

My neighbors only get three years out of single wall before they can poke a finger through it. Not cool. I expect to get more than three years but I know that mild steel pipe exposed to wet, heat, and a corrosive gas will have

Yea they are doing some thing wrong.
Surprised they have not burnt their house down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thi
So basically, double wall won't really do anything to make the stove install any safer provided clearance regs are observed with single wall.

one man's opinion based on lots of qualifying conditions. like "if the pipe is heavy gauge, if the run is not too long (or too short), if the stove flue gases are hot, if there aren't elbows, if you don't touch the pipe, if you have strong draft, etc.

Installed correctly for some installations heavy gauge single wall pipe installation can be almost as safe as double-wall. But many installations are not ideal. If you are looking for an extra margin of safety, double-wall pipe can provide it. Some stove manufacturers strongly recommend it for use with their stoves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.