Single or Dual Regulator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnxtreme

Jan 22, 2007
Told the gas company to come take the 250 # tank so I can use my own tanks, and when they took the tank they took a 3' piece of copper tubing that went from tank to the wall and I can't remember if it had a regulator mounted at the tank. My setup is a tankless Baxi burner making hot water and teed off to run a cooktop. There is a 3/8" tubing running out the house to a regulator mounted on the wall of the house then runs about a hundred feet under ground to the tank. I setup a hundred pounder hooked to the line where the other tank was and it works, but I'm worried that the regulator at the house is a secondary and there was a smaller primary at the tank. I vaguely remember there being one but not too sure. Can anyone tell me I don't want the setup to be unsafe, and every once in a while the unit shuts down and I have to reset it and that never happened before with the other tank.

mtnxtreme, yes, there should be a primary regulator at the tank. Tank pressure is around 100psi, the first stage regulator, always at the tank in residential situations, drops the pressure to around 10psi, that then runs to a second stage regulator which drops it to around .5 psi. You are operating in a very dangerous situation, the second stage regulator is not designed to take tank pressure. Disconnect the tank immediately. You need a first stage regulator at the tank. Also, discard the second stage regulator, it is no longer safe to use as it has been exposed to tank pressure.

Also, if you are in a cold climate your 100# tank may not provide enough vaporization during winter.

OK any ideas on the regulator, do I need a certain PSI or is it just a first stage regulator ? The regulator at the house is a Engineered Controls 4403 also marked 450L. As far as the tank in winter will it help if I add another 100# or should I put a 250 ?

I can't assist in regulator options, in my state regulator sales are restricted to licensed tech's only, and I can't advise homeowners in a DIY situation as it's then a liability on me. I would suggest hiring a licensed tech just to do the hook up, they can then properly test the system for leaks, lock up, etc. Also, they would be able to advise you on tank size as well.

This is the secondary regulator mounted at the house, it says its rated up to 250 psi, the 100 psi from the tank should not affect it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.