Single piece hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpting

Mar 19, 2013
Evening all

I am about to purchase an AGA Ludlow SE and looking to buy a hearth in the next few days. I have put in a constructional hearth and my plan is to purchase a granite hearth measuring 1150 x 790 x 30mm.

It will be cut at the measurements set out in the attachment. Will it be ok as a single piece or should I get it in two or more pieces?

Thanks in advance

Darren

Attachments

• Hearth.jpg
    Hearth.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 125
Will it be ok as a single piece or should I get it in two or more pieces?

What is your concern about the single piece? Too heavy to move? Weight of the stove cracking it?

I prefer a single piece, no place for hot embers or ashes to penetrate. Make sure you have enough crew and equipment to move it and that it is properly and evenly supported when in place.

I am not familiar with the stove you are buying. How heavy is it? Does it require thermal resistance on the hearth?

KaptJaq

Hi and thanks for the reply

My concern was about the weight

Gross 77 kgs
Net 69kgs
Like yourself, I would much prefer a single piece but had read on a supplier's website that wood burners should sit on hearths that consist of two or more pieces.
I'm not sure whether my stove will require thermal resistance or even what that is. It doesn't mention anything in the manual.

I'm not sure whether my stove will require thermal resistance or even what that is. It doesn't mention anything in the manual.​

Thermal resistance is the ability for the hearth to stop heat from going through to the floor below. If you are building the hearth on a wood or other combustible surface the hearth might get hot enough to make the wood underneath catch fire. If there is nothing but concrete and earth under the hearth there is no problem.

Some stoves require only ember protection. That means that the bottom of the stove does not get hot enough to make the floor boards catch fire and you only have to worry about hot ashes/burning embers falling out.

Other stoves require thermal resistance, the bottom of the stove gets very hot and the hearth has to stop that heat from getting to the wood underneath. These require a hearth that will stop the heat from getting to any combustible material under it.

If you are not sure what your stove requires you should check with the dealer or manufacturer.

KaptJaq

Status
Not open for further replies.