Single Piece of Wood at a Time vs Packing it In

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
perplexed said:
BrotherBart said:
When I am at home I burn two at a time. Seems to use more wood but I can manage the temperature better.

A question along these lines comes up as I read these threads...When throwing just 1 or 2 logs in are you burning with primary air all the way open or can you shut it down? Non cat stoves/inserts.

With hot coals to lay them on two E/W splits with a small gap between them allow me to almost immediately close the primary down to a 1/4 and most of the burn takes off on top of the wood. The coals need to be just large enough to allow air to pass under the front split.

It did seem like a nice flame coming off a single log.
You do have to remember to turn off the fan.
I did have an interesting experience with an ember being blown into the room.

I don't have any problems with my setup at all.
In fact, it kept us warm during the outage, although not a toasty as when the power is on.
Just thinking while the snow came down.

Status
Not open for further replies.