Single Row vs. Double Row

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
Hey Guys,

I have a small lot of land. I'm trying to get a little over a year ahead worth of wood stored on my property. I'm curious if anyone has any advice on seasoning time of single row stacks vs double row stacks. Do double rows season significantly slower than single rows? Thanks.

Yes they do. I am always dissappointed on moisture readings of double rows. Singles are very important to quickly seasoning wood. My double stacking days are over.

if you have to have stacks by each other try to leave as much space as possible between them. it does make a BIG difference.

I always stack 2 rows then space the next 2 rows. I have a strong western wind exposure and doubling the rows stops the wind/snow effect from pushing over the pile.

DaFattKidd said:
Hey Guys,

I have a small lot of land. I'm trying to get a little over a year ahead worth of wood stored on my property. I'm curious if anyone has any advice on seasoning time of single row stacks vs double row stacks. Do double rows season significantly slower than single rows? Thanks.

Given that you are trying to get "a little over a year ahead" I would stick to single rows with at least 6" of space between. That said, I have never stacked in single rows so I cant answer your question about there being a significant difference. I started out stacking on a 4 pallets in a square shape and found that wasnt too bright of an idea... learn as you go... I am now stacking in longer rows on pallets (40" wide) which fits 2 rows with some air space in the middle which I also use to stack chunks and smaller pieces. Then I leave plenty of room between pallet rows - enough to easily move my wheel barrow and my snow blower through. I'm also within a cord of having my 2013-14 wood C/S/S.

I do double rows . . . but I also season the wood outside for a year . . . and then let it season for another year inside the woodshed (which has slats in it for ventilation.)

I also use the two rows on a pallet with the uglies and shorts in the middle. Mine are on a sunny hill with a steady breeze. Looking at one side - you can see daylight thru the splits - so I know air is getting thru. They are NOT tightly stacked and I leave them uncovered. I scrounge alot of wood that is already dead and dropped. It's not really green to start with. This method works for me.

two rows ona pallet with a decent space in between - stack on the outside edges of the pallet. Allows lots of wind to blow in between IMHO.

+1 on the double rows on a pallet.

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to stick to single rows as much as I can, and make them as high as I feel are safe. If I have to double up I'll try to leave a space.

DaFattKidd said:
... and make them as high as I feel are safe.
I continue to build single rows, even though I'm 2+ ahead; and stack everything in a cross hatch, which I feel can be built to be more stable. One thing that helps me get good stacks is by gently push-testing during the build, making adjustments whenever it doesn't feel solid. Some of them are 5-6 feet, but my kids are adults, so I have no safety concern about anything coming down. Your "kiddo's" age and play habits may force you to go lower. A wood stack could become really dangerous in a heartbeat with a child experimenting on it.

My stacks are 3 rows on pallets. They get cooked in the sun all summer and are stacked loose enough that I can see sunlight through them. I have done OK this way. I have limited space so single rows are not an option.

DaFattKidd said:
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to stick to single rows as much as I can, and make them as high as I feel are safe. If I have to double up I'll try to leave a space.

Yes, the single will be a bit faster. Be sure to raise them off the ground.

How much space between the rows? I say you should be able to walk comfortably between the rows.

Also, to dry best, stack the wood loosely and not tight.

I am in the two rows per pallet group. Although, just starting out, this seems to work out very well and you don't have to fight the stack to make it stable. I bookend each side with a pallet to make it nice and sturdy. Plus I get the pallets for free, bonus.

Flatbedford said:
My stacks are 3 rows on pallets. They get cooked in the sun all summer and are stacked loose enough that I can see sunlight through them. I have done OK this way. I have limited space so single rows are not an option.

I stack 3 rows tight on big pallets, only had problem when i had a bunch of oak, but for all the other type of wood we have here i have no problems, seasons just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.