single sided fireplace to double sided stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake7

Sep 15, 2013
I live in a 1950's semi with a brick chimney that currently has a gas fire in. On the other side of the chimney is the dining room. What i would like to do is to widen the fireplace, open up the other side and put in a double sided stove.

Is this possible and could anyone give me a rough idea of price?
Apart from noise is there any downside to doing this? Would a double sided insert stove reduce/eliminate the noise problem?

Thanks

I take it you are in the UK. Double sided stoves aren't available here in the Colonies so it is hard to say what one costs. I believe they are available in England though.

You need to get a local professional sweep's advice on modifications to a fireplace.

Reactions: Blake7
Hi Blake7
I have had a quick look on stoves online, double sided stoves are more expensive than single sided stoves, seem to be
In the £1500+ mark
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Woodburning-Stoves-and-Multifuel-Stoves.html
Looking on eBay also in that sort of price range
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...le+sided+woodburning+stove&_sacat=0&_from=R40
Liner wold be about £500
I would estimate the building work, removing gas fire and making safe, opening up fireplace, new hearth, register (block off) plate, cowl etc....would be in the £2000 + mark.
So I would guess £4000 +
This is just my rough calculation from experience, you would need to get a Hetas fitter in for a more accurate price.

Hope this helps

Billy.

Reactions: Blake7
Status
Not open for further replies.