Single to Double wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homieg9999

Dec 26, 2010
South Jersey Shore
I was wondering if I could use single wall for my vertical pipe and elbow coming from my stove, and then have double wall as my horizontal piece (to cut down clearances). I would plan on using the same manufacturer, naturally.

homieg9999 said:
I was wondering if I could use single wall for my vertical pipe and elbow coming from my stove, and then have double wall as my horizontal piece (to cut down clearances). I would plan on using the same manufacturer, naturally.

Sure, why not? That's exactly what I did to go through a solid brick wall. I wanted the double-wall to reduce the amount of horse-hair plaster and lathe I needed to remove around the opening.

Sure you can. Some brands have an adaptor pc to go from single to double. It could be some brands don't need an adaptor. I have Selkirk and used the adaptor.

I know this isn't your situation, but I wonder if it'd be ok to go from double-wall to single-wall ? Seems wrong ...

It would be easier to advise if the flue installation details were more specific. What's the setup and clearance problem? Is this a wall or ceiling clearance issue?

Sorry, but I can't take any pics right now, I won't be home until Wed probably. But, the situation is: I'll have approx. a two foot section going up from the stove, to a 90* elbow, to a 1 foot horizontal section, to a 8" to 7" reducer, into the masonry chimney with tile flue. The clearance issue is the studs on the wall I have to go through. I already removed the drywall so that's not an issue, but the studs are still there. I may just fabricate a heat shield for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.