Single Wall? Double Wall pipe? - Treemont Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

troyce1

May 7, 2011
Baltimore, MD
I have a freestanding Treemont Wood stove that a friend gave me, and I am looking to possibly do to have the pipe go out the side wall of the building where we are installing it. Does anyone know what kind of pipe I need to buy, or installation guidelines to follow? I had posted here previously and someone directed me to a general woodstove guidelines manual, however, the piping instructions seemed very vague, and have installed a stove before so I am somewhat familiar with instructions.

The stove takes an 8 inch pipe.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

troyce1 said:
I have a freestanding Treemont Wood stove that a friend gave me, and I am looking to possibly do to have the pipe go out the side wall of the building where we are installing it. Does anyone know what kind of pipe I need to buy, or installation guidelines to follow? I had posted here previously and someone directed me to a general woodstove guidelines manual, however, the piping instructions seemed very vague, and have installed a stove before so I am somewhat familiar with instructions.

The stove takes an 8 inch pipe.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

To pass through the wall and go outside you will need Class A metal chimney. Regular single wall or double wall stove pipe is for interior use only to connect from the stove to the chimney.

Joe, so we could save money by running the single wall pipe inside and then prior to it passing through the wall, we would have to interchange over to the other pipe?

Thanks for your reply.

troyce1 said:
Joe, so we could save money by running the single wall pipe inside and then prior to it passing through the wall, we would have to interchange over to the other pipe?

Thanks for your reply.

As long as it doesn't pass through any ceilings or walls, then yes, you can save a lot of money running single wall as high as possible then switch to the pricey chimney Class A stuff.

I would strongly recommend downloading the installation instruction manual for the brand and make of pipe you intend to use for the entire system. This is important infrastructure that has to be done safely.

Here is a link to DuraVent's DuraTech pipe installation as an example.

http://www.duravent.com/docs/product/L150_Apr2011.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.