Single wall or Double wall vent pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tborgers

Jul 4, 2014
oshkosh wi
Hi all,

I have a Pelpro 120 pellet stove and am installing it into my 8" single flue clay chimney. Question is, can I use single wall pipe, as there are no combustables remotely close? I'd prefer single wall basically for price point. If double walled is used, how do I connect pieces that I have to customly cut to size for my application, I know the standard pieces twist lock together. The chimney is in the basement and goes through the foundation wall using single walled pipe. There is no framing near the stove, just cultured stonework and the foundation wall. The below info is from my manual:

A. Chimney and Exhaust Connection
1. Chimney & Connector
: Use 3 or 4 inch (76-102mm)
diameter type “L” or “PL” venting system. It can be vented
vertically or horizontally.

2. Mobile Home: Approved for all Listed pellet vent. If using
the 3 inch (76mm) vertical Top Vent Adapter Kit or the 3
to 6 inch (76-152mm) Top Vent Offset Adapter, use Listed
double walled
connector. An authorized Outside Air Kit
must be used with manufactured home installations.
Canada factory built, chimney installations requires installation
to conform with CAN/ULC-S629.
3. Residential: The 3 inch (76mm) vertical Top Vent Adapter
Kit and the 3 to 6 inch (76-152mm) Top Vent Offset Adapter
are tested to use 24 gauge single wall
l use connector or
Listed double wall
fl ue connector to Class A Listed metal
chimneys, or masonry chimneys meeting International
Conference of Building
officials (ICBO) standards for solid
fuel appliances.

THANKS!!!

I should add that its an 8" single walled flue going direction through my foundation wall below grade and straight into the chimney. How would I adapt to the 8" flue? Thimbles usually need to be connected on both sides of the wall normally right? I would prefer to run the 4" pipe and somehow adapt it to the 8" flue. From the back of the stove it would start at the T and go up to a 90 then over to the chimney through the wall and up the chimney. Is a 4" SS chimney liner truely necessary? I dont want to abandon using the chimney because my hearth pad and cultured stonework is centered with the chimney. Thanks :)

If we could use single wall inside the structure most people probably would but the instructions with most stoves is pretty explicit about this ( double wall). I don't have your install instructions but would say to you just follow them, you won't go wrong.

Expanding gasses to 8" is cause for a lot of cooling, cooling brings creosote. That said some [people have tried this, not sure how they made out. I know that some have gone 6" though and been OK. My Harman instructions show this as one way but it's running a liner part way up 6". My Harman instructions are not your Pelpro instructions !! So anyway, if you run single wall liner of 4" to the top it will insure that gasses make it out the top still hot is best I can say. I can't speak for the 8" clay. Again follow the instructions, that's what insurance people and building inspectors will want to see if ever you need them.

According to PelPro, these are the alternatives

upload_2014-9-29_8-40-52.png

This is essentially my setup. It's from my manual although it doesn't specify how to tie into the chimney exactly. What type of pipe is the larger diameter one? Is that a wall thimble? Can I do double wall 4" and adapt to the single wall 8" that goes through my foundation? Thanks. There's a picture attached.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 665
Or should I just run 4" double wall up to the front half of a wall thimble and then run a SS flex chimney liner to the top of the chimney?

Status
Not open for further replies.