Single wall pipe wall pass through?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acp104

Jan 14, 2016
NW Illinois
Hi all,
I would like to vent a wood stove with 6" outlet through an exterior shed wall (wood) into an existing masonry chimney with 7" square clay flue. There used to a be a wood stove in the building with a single wall stove pipe routed through the wall into the chimney so there is already a 6" hole. There is no clay or metal stub/sleeve passing through the wall/chimney at this time. I know my install must include proper clearance to combustibles so I will need to create a much larger hole in the wooden wall. Since my chimney is only 16" wide, I need to keep my hole through the siding under 16". My question is, can single wall stove pipe be run through an insulated wall thimble directly into the chimney? Such a setup would be ideal for me because it would allow minimal rework of the existing 6" hole through the masonry, and low cost. If not, I guess I'll have to go with something like thishttp://www.menards.com/main/heating...53722638-c-19451.htm?tid=-7382031871516326279

Status
Not open for further replies.