Single Wall Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
We were talking about stoves on another forum and someone mentioned single wall pipe. They said, so long as you use "common sense" and are smart about it, it was perfectly safe to use and had been used successfully for hundreds of years.

Now I know I have double wall for my stove and I don't really see anyone mention single wall around here. I've also read stories of single wall being burned though pretty quickly.

But is there any way to safely use single wall pipe for an entire in home/exterior chimney setup?

Thanks

-Emt1581

We were talking about stoves on another forum and someone mentioned single wall pipe. They said, so long as you use "common sense" and are smart about it, it was perfectly safe to use and had been used successfully for hundreds of years.

Now I know I have double wall for my stove and I don't really see anyone mention single wall around here. I've also read stories of single wall being burned though pretty quickly.

But is there any way to safely use single wall pipe for an entire in home/exterior chimney setup?

Single wall is permitted for the connector pipe only. There are lots of stoves with single wall connectors. At the wall or ceiling though, the pipe must switch to class A.

Single wall is permitted for the connector pipe only. There are lots of stoves with single wall connectors. At the wall or ceiling though, the pipe must switch to class A.

Oh ok, so from the stove to the wall it's fine. Why not the chimney? And what did Ben Franklin use back in the day?

On a related note, that flex pipe for use inside a chimney....that only looks to be single wall...no?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Ben Franklin used a masonry chimney. Temperature and clearances are the reasons for the increased requirements at the room penetration.

The liner is typically single wall if uninsulated, but there are several double-wall insulated liners on the market as well.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Single-wall obviously radiates more heat and could be dangerousl to those accidentally touching pipe, but then again a really hot stove will burn someone just as easily. I prefer double to keep the flue gas temps higher at the top of the stack. I don't know if it would cool the flue enough to build creosote, but that is my theory.

Single wall pipe for the whole chimney would be unsafe and would build creosote quick i would think.

Single-wall all the way is sometimes called a redneck chimney. We see the lucky ones here occasionally. The not so lucky ones are looking at a pile of ashes where their house once stood.

redneck-chimney.jpg

Reactions: corey21 and ScotO
Single-wall all the way is sometimes called a redneck chimney. We see the lucky ones here occasionally. The not so lucky ones are looking at a pile of ashes where their house once stood.

View attachment 75516

Yikes!! That'd make me think twice about doing it.

Personally, once I get the money for it, I'm going to be flex-piping my brick chimney and hooking up a small stove down the basement.

But I have to wonder what they did before double wall pipe came out?? I know you said Ben Franklin used brick but is that what everyone did? What other options were there back then?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Brick and stone were the basic materials but mortared clay tile piping enclosed in brick was also frequently used. Some chimneys started being cast in cement at the turn of the last century. Not sure when metal chimneys first started being used. It wouldn't surprise me if the first one wasn't by a plumber or waterworks person that had a lot of extra cast iron pipe hanging around.

The two biggest issues with single wall pipe are clearances to combustibles, and creosote formation. The single wall pipe forms LOTS more creosote than a double wall insulated class A pipe. The inner gasses in the pipe are in more-or-less direct contact with the outside air, and that forms moisture beads inside the pipe (condensation), which mixes with the smoke and in turn results in creosote. As far as clearances, some people just don't use common sense and put the pipe WAY TOO CLOSE to combustible materials. Sometimes (be it luck or just mercy from God) people get lucky......those that don't pay dearly for it. Class A piple has revolutionized the woodburning experience, making it really safe and really enjoyable to burn wood, but you still have to follow the clearances and the priciples of seasoning your wood or accidents can happen...

Well they used to make chimneys out of sticks and clay, but I would suspect many caught fire eventually.
Something worth noting, single wall clearance to combustibles is 18", class A is 2", single wall is generally made of steel and may rust through at some point, class A is stainless steel and should last many years.
786472029122005_47421229122005eb062.jpg

Reactions: corey21 and ScotO
Yikes!! That'd make me think twice about doing it.

Personally, once I get the money for it, I'm going to be flex-piping my brick chimney and hooking up a small stove down the basement.

But I have to wonder what they did before double wall pipe came out?? I know you said Ben Franklin used brick but is that what everyone did? What other options were there back then?

Thanks

-Emt1581

We've always used single wall pipe from the stove to the chimney and never had a problem. But like others have stated, that is as far as you go with single wall. Also, you must use the black pipe! Never use galvanized inside. That black pipe is heavy stuff and no worries about it burning out.

Reactions: ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.