Single wall vs. Double wall stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timfromohio

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2007
I'm beginning to layout the hearth plan for installation of a Naploean 1150P. The Napolean manual lists required clearances in tabular form. With all models EXCEPT the 1150P, you can have their stoves several inches closer to the wall behind the stove using double wall stove pipe. Why the 1150P doesn't follow along with the other models I'm not sure. I had planned on using double wall stove pipe to get the stove as close to the back wall as allowed, but upon reading the fine print see that the required clearance is the same whether I'm using double wall or single wall.

My question is, if the required clearance is the same, is there a good reason to spend extra money on the double wall? It seems a tradeoff might exist in that the single wall pipe would radiate more heat to the room than the double wall, bu the double wall would keep exhaust gases hotter thus decreasing creosote buildup.

What do you guys think?

The heat retantion in the chimney is correct, but in addition, the double wall pipe is a nicer looking product as well, in my opinion.

And, don't forget a lot of double wall pipe has a stainless core with a lifetime guarantee.........

The double wall will last very much longer. The single wall you will be replacing every few years.

Is there any benefit to single wall when it comes to draft in a cold stove? I would think that the single wall pipe would allow for a warmer chimney to help draft when starting the stove.

-SF

Will a double wall radiate any heat into the room? I am switching from a single wall to a double wall to get tighter clearances.

Double does get hot, but it won't be anywhere near as hot as single wall gets.

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll price out the double wall and try to go for that. Overall, it seems the better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.