SINGLE WALL VS. DOUBLE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROYJ24

Oct 3, 2007
S. JERSEY
GOING WITH CFM FW240007. WHAT TYPE OF STOVE PIPE SHOULD I GO WITH
SINGLE OR DOUBLE WALL? R THE CLEARANCES IN MANUAL FOR SINGLE WALL
OR DOES IT MATTER? :-S

Single is fine and will give more heat - as long as you can go by the listed single clearances, which are usually on the label and manual. Generic clearance is 18", but some stoves can go closer (tested that way) and some must be further. You can also use pipe heat shields and/or wall protection if the pipe is the "killer" (what is holding you back).

Suggested best single wall is the more expensive....like Heat-Fab welded pipe 22 ga, although 24 ga meets code.

Single wall is uninsulated and will give off alot of heat into the living area...which is a good thing.

According to a few installers I've spoken with though its only good for a 3-5 years before it begins to become leaky...I have zero personal experience with the longevity of this pipe.

Your stove manual should specify what kind of pipe the listed clearances are for...mine showed two clearances...one for single wall, one for double wall.

MY MANUAL DOESN'T SPECIFY SO I ASSUME ITS SINGLE. 3-5 YEAR LIFE IS THAT NORMAL OR R THEY JUST BLOWING SMOKE?

Heres a pic of my stove installed with single wall pipe.

What are you doing for the ceiling kit?

Lowes?

I have a cathedral ceiling and had to special order a kit.

Single wall is cheap enough not to worry about replacing it every few years for me.

Attachments

• Moefire001.jpg
    Moefire001.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 676
njtomatoguy said:
Heres a pic of my stove installed with single wall pipe.

What are you doing for the ceiling kit?

Lowes?

I have a cathedral ceiling and had to special order a kit.

Single wall is cheap enough not to worry about replacing it every few years for me.

Ol Yeller there seems to know exactly what he likes, a nice cozy, warm fire ;) Looks like he knows about clearances too, close enough, but not too close. Smart dog ;)

Single wall gets the job done but double wall is better. If your budget allows for it get the DW...I would not put that snap lock stuff in my house.

Thats his spot! and Moe won't move, even when I'm loading it up. The little one usually curls up against him..I have'nt been able to get a pic of that yet..

I got out the paperwork that came with the stove. It looks to me like the clearance fron the back of the pipe to the wall is supposed to be at least 17.5 inches. Mine is 20 plus off the wall, but I way exceeded clearances to center it on the hearth pad i built. As elk says, better safe than sorry

ROYJ24 said:
MY MANUAL DOESN'T SPECIFY SO I ASSUME ITS SINGLE. 3-5 YEAR LIFE IS THAT NORMAL OR R THEY JUST BLOWING SMOKE?

I replace 22 ga. single wall every two years. When you clean it you will see why. The last time I put in 24 gauge welded seam single wall and hope it lasts longer. It should it costs four times more than the hardware store stuff.

MAYBE LOWES CEILING KIT, SUPERVENT, OR IF I CAN FIND THAT 22 GAUGE HEAT FAB WELDED PIPE?

nt

Attachments

• capslock.jpg
    capslock.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 462
Acehardwareoutlet.com is where I got the chimney kit and pipe- delivered to my door in 2 day..

BrotherBart said:
ROYJ24 said:

I replace 22 ga. single wall every two years. When you clean it you will see why. The last time I put in 24 gauge welded seam single wall and hope it lasts longer. It should it costs four times more than the hardware store stuff.

Why do you have to replace every two years, when liners have 25 year warranties on them, or even lifetime???? Scaring me.............. what is the difference between what you referring to, and a 25 year liner.

The single wall is not stainless steel.

This is interior single-wall pipe being referred to, not a liner. FWIW, when I pulled out the 20 year old single-wall, heavy gauge black pipe that the 602, then 3CB was connected to, it was in great condition. It seems like you'd need to be using 30ga galvanized and burning driftwood to have to replace it every other year.

woodsie8 said:
BrotherBart said:
ROYJ24 said:

Why do you have to replace every two years, when liners have 25 year warranties on them, or even lifetime???? Scaring me.............. what is the difference between what you referring to, and a 25 year liner.

Our welded heavy gauge interior pipe has been in use for at least 18 years with no signs of leakage or pinholes. I will continue to use it for another 18 years unless it develops some pin holes.

Maybe the thinwall pipe will deteriorate in a couple of years but I even doubt that. Just keep an eye on it and you will know when it needs replacing. Different burn patterns, moisture, and many other factors are envolved with its demise.

Status
Not open for further replies.