Sinking land

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
This just popped up for me.

I've always been concerned with using ground water, and the dumb idea of growing veggies in a dry state (CA). 1 ft per year there...?!

I don't know where they got the 5 mm per year for NYC, as the maps provided show about 2 mm per year. (Unless added to the 3 mm per year sea level rise.) Glad I'm living on a cliff high above the Sound....

Long Island also is depleting an aquifer. Too many people, and too many people watering lawns etc.

This got moved from the green room here. Fine. It is, however, posited in the article that this is a human made issue. I.e. environmental. Depletion of ground water.

The CA central valley is not sea level related. The point is that it's not elevation relative to sea level that is talked about here. It is absolute. And thus not related (in first order) to sea level rise.

I've been educated quite well in sea level issues, being from The Netherlands...

No doubt human activity has a dramatic effect on the planet. Wasn't the CA central valley once an inland sea? Will the depletion of the Ogallala aquifer bring a return of the inland ocean?

The Ogallala aquifer seems very far from the coast, so the total drop in elevation of the land would have to be hundreds of feet, I surmise, for this to become a sea.(salt). It won't become a lake by dropping elevation from pumping water out of the ground...

That was a joke son

• Wow
Reactions: stoveliker