1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I have the exact opposite experience. I find a new load starts/burns better once I close the door. ;hm

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    To be fair, I'm pretty stingy with the kindling and none of this super cedar type stuff.
  3. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Could be that older model let more air in before they installed that overfire screw on the t-stat cover? Mine is pretty sluggish at start ups and reloads.
  4. BillsWS

BillsWS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    U.P. Michigan
    What he put in writing was if 2/3 of the condominum assocation voted in my favor I could put in a wood stove. I passed on the deal and I am now living in a 2 br 2 ba apt. Sure going to miss the Princess (the stove)... oh, and the wife too. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out over the next year. Thank God the Supersplit is in storage : )
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    What is the total chimney height on your stove?
  6. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    27' or so of insulated liner(5.5) with a few feet of double wall inside.
  7. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I thought so. That'll do it just fine. Highbeam, what do you have?
  8. Highbeam

Loc:
    8 feet of class A plus 5 feet of double wall interior pipe. All vertical, all rigid, no spark arrestor, no damper, and the cap 3 feet over the ridge of home. I have the specified chimney.

The OAK setup draws air from a few feet below the stove which actually acts to supercharge the stove just a bit. Really weird, when that OAK was first put in and not hooked to a stove it would pump air into the house, I had to tape it off.
  9. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I think the chimney is your smoke spill problem, not the stove. A short chimney + mild temps is bound to spill some smoke. Grab a 4' length of cheap, galvanized 6" round pipe and temporarily stick it in the chimney as an extension. See if that makes a difference. If so, add some class A to improve draft.
  10. Highbeam

Loc:
    Not gonna happen, the pipe would be stupid tall. The chimney fully meets the spec for most any stove including the BK and did not spill smoke with the hearthstone or Lopi before that. This is a BK weakness but not a major problem. True, a super duper chimney might overcome the design problem but that is not required by the manufacturer.

I burned a fire yesterday when it was 60 degrees outside and inside. No spillage. Spillage occurs when reloading on top of a non-consumed fuel load.