Sirrocco 25 installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sitka

Dec 11, 2023
Cascadia
I had a Sirocco 25 insert installed in my fireplace. Blaze King apparently does not include a serial number card with the stove; instead they rely on the installer to fill out the information on the manual. I suspect the serial number is on the side or the back of the insert somewhere where it's completely inaccessible to me. I have to say, it seems quite silly to rely on a contractor to fill out a form when they are focused on the physical task of installation and generally not the type of person to make notes.

Needless to say, my installer did not write down the serial number or take a photo of it. So how do I complete the warranty form? Why can't Blaze King include the serial number on a card, or put the serial number somewhere visible after installation?

Second question, I saw begreen recommended a custom block off plate for inserts in exterior-wall chimneys. Wish I'd known about that in advance. How much heat am I losing to heat the chimney without one? Is it worth paying the installer to come back, pull out the insert, and make one? I don't burn every day but it's bugging me now. Seems like it should be standard for this kind of installation.

If no one here knows it, ask @BKVP for the location of the serial.

A block off plate indeed should be standard - not for code or safety but for efficiency.

It would be good if that is communicated by the dealer or BK when an order is placed....

Heat loss would be less if it's an internal chimney. If on an external wall then it will make a large difference.

Reactions: Sitka
Thanks. Anyone know if the serial is on the side? If it's on the back I wouldn't even be able to see it after removing the shroud, so I wouldn't bother.

Open the front bottom cover and below the tstat a card pulls out with all the info.

bkserial.jpg

On second thought you might not have to pull the front cover to get to that, might just be able to pull it out with the cover on.

Second question, I saw begreen recommended a custom block off plate for inserts in exterior-wall chimneys. Wish I'd known about that in advance. How much heat am I losing to heat the chimney without one? Is it worth paying the installer to come back, pull out the insert, and make one? I don't burn every day but it's bugging me now. Seems like it should be standard for this kind of installation.

I would recommend insulating the entire fireplace since it is exterior. See link in my signature for more info.

Open the front bottom cover and below the tstat a card pulls out with all the info.

View attachment 324669

On second thought you might not have to pull the front cover to get to that, might just be able to pull it out with the cover on.
Ah, thank you! This is smart. I don't see any mention of it in the manual, which is not so smart.

And thanks for the link to your insulation thread. Now I'm wondering if there's a way to get some insulation on the sides and back without pulling out the insert. Hmm.