sistern filtering-bacterial

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barnartist

Minister of Fire
I use a 2000 gallon sistern for all of our water use, except to drink of course. Problem is, cant keep my young ones from drinking the bath water.

I filter the water with yarn type filters, but I know bacteria must be active in the water. Is there some device that may assist me further in killing what might be left in my water? My thoughts are with a light based killer, like what people who make cider and maple syrup, but that is as much as I know.

Thanks!

I have a 4600-gallon cistern and an old (like 1800's old) hand dug well. I'm in the same situation. I avoid chlorination becuase of the probability of dioxin formation. My water runs through a jet pump, and then through a "yarn type" filter like you, and THEN a carbon filter. I had been researching purification methods for a while, and then gave up; too expensive. We only use ours for bath, wash, etc, like you. Hasn't made the kids sick yet...

What I had found/decided on was the following:

1. UV filter- expensive, but will work. You need to filter your water down to either 5 micron or 2.5 micron (I can't remember which) BEFORE the unit. UV isn't as effective if you have any turbidity to absorb or reflect the UV light. You could do whole house with this, or just under the kitchen sink for drinking. The UV unit itself needs a bulb replacement each year. See this web page - best prices I could find, and the guy there is really helpful. http://www.ohiopurewaterco.com/shop/customer/home.php

2. Ozone!! This one is even better, but more expensive. It will take out odors, taste, color, etc in addition to cysts and bacteria, pathogens. From what I remember, it was about $1000. http://www.ozonepurewater.com/index.html

email or call either place and let them know what you are trying to accomplish, and they can probably help you out. I personally will be buying a Big Berkey gravity filter to do away with bottled water. Won't help with the bath situation, but I'll be able to get rid of another hassle (5-gallon bottles).

Hope this helps...

Hey thanks very much. When you say doing away with the 5 gallon bottles, you must have one of those water coolers like at an office then? We have been buying gallon jugs for drinking, but it is a hassle, was thinking of a cooler/water tank.

At one point I had 3 filters in the water line. The last filter was the paper kind, I think it was to filter odor, but may have been the 2.5 micron. Problem with that for me, in about a week or so I'd notice less and less pressure in the sytem, which seems strange when you consider the filters are before the expansion tank. So I just use 2 yarn filters now.

I have abandoned our well almost completely it is so useless. Especially during this drought. My Dad lives about 1000 feet from me, and has never run out of water in 30 years.

Also, I was putting a little of our pool shocker in the sistern to help with odor and it really helps. Is this something I should not do?

Hi barnartist,

question

Did you have the "yarn" (string?) filters in series or parallel?

If series the first filter loads up with sentiment which impedes water flow reducing the water pressure.

We have two string filters in parallel with a Pur at the kitchen faucet.

Mfgr recommends the string filters be changed annually, we do it twice a year, the Pur is changed when the water stops flowing.

We buy the strings & Pur at Walmart.

Just replaced the strings with one string & one foam. Doing a trial run to see which stops the most sentiment. ;-)

http://www.purwaterfilter.com/faucetmounted.html

Good luck with yours

The filters are in series. They were seperate before, one for the sistern and 2 for the well, but i grew tired of running out of water in the well, and going to the basement and changing the manual valves. Also, when the sytem would lose pressure, one of the pumps would continue to run-probably from an air lock. So, I plumbed them all together so I could simply throw the breaker to make the change.

Yes, the first filter gets all of the big stuff on the outside visible to see.

I guess maybe some natural water may not be as bad as all the chemicals they have to add to city water.

barnartist said:
... Yes, the first filter gets all of the big stuff on the outside visible to see.

I guess maybe some natural water may not be as bad as all the chemicals they have to add to city water.

Ok, if you look at the specs on the "Blue 3 Stage" at the pur link you will discover the activated carbon filter is rated at 99.99% removal of Cryptosporidum & Giardia.

So take some of your natural water to your County Agent & ask that they to do an analysis. After all, your paying their salaries, might as well (pun intended) get something for your civic investment. ;-)

barnartist said:
When you say doing away with the 5 gallon bottles, you must have one of those water coolers like at an office then? We have been buying gallon jugs for drinking, but it is a hassle, was thinking of a cooler/water tank.

Also, I was putting a little of our pool shocker in the sistern to help with odor and it really helps. Is this something I should not do?

You can go get your own 5-gal jugs and a cooler. I have one of those office-type refrigerated deals, but I think I would like the non-refrigerated ceramic "crock" one better (they sit on your counter and don't use electricity). I originally was doing the exchange thing (pay deposit on jugs, then exchange them and pay about $4 for each full one). They just jacked up the price to $5, so I started going to Kroger and filling them myself for $1.95 each.

As far as the pool shocker, that's up to you. Do a litte research on dioxins, though. They form when you combine organic material and chlorine. I personally have plenty of leaves, pollin, and other organic stuff in my cistern, so I opted to avoid the chlorine route. I use a carbon-impregnated filter after my "yarn" filter, and it seems to do a good job of taking out color and odor.

Status
Not open for further replies.