Sitting close to stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Holzstapel

Burning Hunk
Jun 7, 2013
New Jersey
We have two main sitting areas in our home. The loft is where the computer and tv are located. We spend about the last hour before bed up there watching whatever. The other area is in the great room below where the stove will be located. We spend more time on the couch down there and in the kitchen. We flipped our living area so the larger side of the house is where the stove and sitting area is.

Im curious how close to their stoves do people sit? If we had the Jotul F55 on the hearth in front of our fireplace, we could be sitting less than 10' from it.

Will we be cooked?

I'm wondering same thing, our couch is about 8 ft from the front of our hampton hi300

Reactions: Holzstapel
We have a PE Super insert. We like to sit in our chairs about 3 feet from the stove a little bit off to the sides. Our living room table is about 5 ft away from the stove and I am pretty sure I could sit on it for an extended period of time without being roasted. My kids also like to sit in front of the stove maybe 3 feet away although that would probably feel uncomfortable to me at some point.

I'm wondering same thing, our couch is about 8 ft from the front of our hampton hi300
No worries mate. Our cat likes to sleep 2 feet in front of the stove.

The farthest the BACK of my sofa is ever from the front of the big glass window of the Progress Hybrid is 11 feet. However, the sofa tends to creep closer to the stove as the winter progresses. 30 below and nothing is nicer than sleeping on the sofa, front of the sofa about six feet from the stove. Standard distance for front edge of chairs in front and to the side of the stove is about nine to ten feet -- about 6 feet across the room and 6 to 8 feet to the side.

If you stay three feet in front of my stove, you will die from the heat. Front of a sofa or chair 5 feet or more from the stove and you re just fine.

good to know, thanks guys

I have an insert. My favorite winter activity after Saturday's work is done, is pull my recliner about seven or eight ft from the front of the stove, recline back with a lap quilt over my legs and my feet about two or three ft from the stove. Usually wake up about 4 am to go to bed. This is my version of a nightcap.;)

When sitting in my chair, my legs are 5' from the Fv, torso about 6' away but I'm off to the side of the stove, not in front of the glass.

When I come in from working outdoors in the cold, I set a chair right next to the stove and enjoy the heat. My computer and chair is about 7' from the side of the stove.

Start of the night my wife is in the spot on the couch closest to the fire then its between me and the dog for the next best spot. So my new trick is to load the heater up with yellow box and turn the fan on full till its too hot for my wife, then i offer to swap spots like a gentleman, then just turn the fan down and settle the fire down while i enjoy the prime spot...

Reactions: Trilifter7
Start of the night my wife is in the spot on the couch closest to the fire then its between me and the dog for the next best spot. So my new trick is to load the heater up with yellow box and turn the fan on full till its too hot for my wife, then i offer to swap spots like a gentleman, then just turn the fan down and settle the fire down while i enjoy the prime spot...

Sneaky devil. She's going to catch on, you know.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
Me: 8-10 feet away from the woodstove.

Thumper: 4-8 inches away from the back of the woodstove . . . she pretty much hangs out there all winter long.

Ike and Truman: 18-24 inches away from the front of the woodstove . . . they both occasionally use the raised hearth as a pillow.

Jackson: The coldest spot in the house furthest away from the woodstove . . . he definitely has Maine coon cat in him and is not a lover of the heat.

Ok I just measured for you, the prime head spot on the pillow is 9ft away with the toasty warm feet sitting at 5 ft. The couch directly in front of the insert is 12 feet. 3 ft and under is too hot, so I am thinking an insert for you with your table being so close, my opinion of course, good luck

Recliner 8' to the back and 5' to my feet. They can get a bit toasty when the stove hits 600-700* but that is usually when it is sub zero out so I don't mind a little toasty at that point. The radiant heat feels oh so good on the old bones in the winter.

I have an insert. My favorite winter activity after Saturday's work is done, is pull my recliner about seven or eight ft from the front of the stove, recline back with a lap quilt over my legs and my feet about two or three ft from the stove. Usually wake up about 4 am to go to bed. This is my version of a nightcap.;)
Sneaky devil, he is going to catch on...

My five year old has a ritual of sitting directly in front of the stove each morning and watching cartoons or playing quietly with toys. We have a hearth gate that protrudes like 24" from the door. He loves to get super hot sitting right there. We have couches like 5-6 feet from the insert so it's really cozy in there.

Thanks for all of the replies. Looks like we are right on par with our distance from the stove.

My cat sleeps within 4 feet of the stove, If you move her she'll go right back!

The couch is about a foot from our hearth. That's my spot. My husband gets the other end of the couch. Our German Shedder is on the other end of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.