Six Inch Chimney on an Eight Inch Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rustygrey

Hearth Supporter
Sep 22, 2010
NE AL
I am getting ready to install an old Scandia 308 in my tiny (16x24) one room cabin. The stove was free and in very good condition and I just shelled out nearly $600 for 6 inch triple-wall chimney parts. On this site I found a copy of the original FCP manual which said this is an 8 inch stove. It also said never downsize a flue pipe. So my question is this - Am I likely to have serious problems with a smaller smoke stack?
Some more info: stack will rise approximately 16 feet srtaight up (no bends) - the cabin is well insulated (6" walls and ceiling) with double-pane windows.

You're pushing it. If you had a 35' insulated liner I'd say you're good to go but 16' isn't much. How big is the firebox? I'm guessing with such a large flue its a biggin'. I'm guessing that 6" is 1/2 the area of an 8" liner.

If that 6 inch is brand new and you can trade it for 8 inch I would do it and maybe save a hassle.

RustyGrey said:
I am getting ready to install an old Scandia 308 in my tiny (16x24) one room cabin. The stove was free and in very good condition and I just shelled out nearly $600 for 6 inch triple-wall chimney parts. On this site I found a copy of the original FCP manual which said this is an 8 inch stove. It also said never downsize a flue pipe. So my question is this - Am I likely to have serious problems with a smaller smoke stack?
Some more info: stack will rise approximately 16 feet srtaight up (no bends) - the cabin is well insulated (6" walls and ceiling) with double-pane windows.

Yes, you will likely have problems. This is a big stove that wants air and good draft. Feeding a top loader when the draft is poor is no fun unless you like a snootful of smoke every time.

Thanks for the replys! I understand that I would probably encounter problems if I tried to run this stove at capacity. However, I do not believe this will ever happen. First, the winters in northeast Alabama are pretty mild. Second the cabin is extremely small and very well insulated. So my next question is this: "Can a stove like this be throttled down by carefully controlling the fuel load and/or the air?"
BTW, this is a front loader with a secondary air intake that allows air into the flue end of the firebox.

Attachments

• Scandia308.png
    Scandia308.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 385
The problems we are talking about have nothing to do with running at capacity, poor start up and bad overall performance making for a PITA situtation. I did run a 8 inch stove into a 7 1/4 inch liner and never had a problem but why take the chance if you can get the right sized flue.

RustyGrey said:
I have done this before myself, with an old smoke dragon. The stove worked and performed the same as always even after hooked up to the downsized 6 inch............EXCEPT: it had double doors and I could not open both doors without spilling smoke into the room. So, from my personal experience with this, the stove performed normally but I loaded it by only opening one door.

Your results may vary!

Status
Not open for further replies.