Size Matters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodyB

Jul 2, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Hi all. I need some help on stove size. I live in Denver Colorado in an original 1940 ranch (one story) farm house that is 1081 square feet. I have an old Franklin Stove that my insurance is giving me a hard time about. I plan to replace it soon with a Jotul stove but can't decide between the Jotul F 3 CB or the larger Jotul F 400 Castine. The price difference is about $400 so a decent amount but not crazy.

The Jotul brochure puts me in zone 3 where the F3 would heat 1000 square feet and the F400 would heat 1300 square feet.

So...my question is should I go with the larger F400 or the smaller F3. What would you do if you were in my shoes? The room the stove is in is a 350 square foot main room.

Thanks for any help/recommendations.

Defiantly the Castine. For firebox size. The F3 is a nice little stove but the firebox is tiny meaning less wood and shorter burn times.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Casting ... best advice I got here when I first signed up was to figure out the spacing and stove size needed and then go one stove larger ... well that and taking the time and money to make sure the house is well insulated.

If the room is not closed off from the rest of the house, go for the Castine. I have owned and run both. There is a big difference, especially if you are going to be burning mostly softwood.

If the room is not closed off from the rest of the house, go for the Castine. I have owned and run both. There is a big difference, especially if you are going to be burning mostly softwood.
Thanks begreen, the room opens up to the other rooms in the house and nothing but soft woods around here. Sounds like the Castine is the way to go. Thanks for the input.

Yep spend the extra 400. Figure 10 years divided by 400 is 40/year,less then 4 bucks extra a month.
I'm sure it will last longer then 10 years also.

Hi all. I need some help on stove size. I live in Denver Colorado in an original 1940 ranch (one story) farm house that is 1081 square feet. I have an old Franklin Stove that my insurance is giving me a hard time about. I plan to replace it soon with a Jotul stove but can't decide between the Jotul F 3 CB or the larger Jotul F 400 Castine. The price difference is about $400 so a decent amount but not crazy.

The Jotul brochure puts me in zone 3 where the F3 would heat 1000 square feet and the F400 would heat 1300 square feet.

So...my question is should I go with the larger F400 or the smaller F3. What would you do if you were in my shoes? The room the stove is in is a 350 square foot main room.

Thanks for any help/recommendations.

In a 1940s ranch in Denver I'd err on the side of slightly too large.

Casting ... best advice I got here when I first signed up was to figure out the spacing and stove size needed and then go one stove larger ... well that and taking the time and money to make sure the house is well insulated.

That is solid advice for someone living with harsh (New England or Rocky Mountain) winters. It falls apart a bit as regional climate moderates.

Reactions: firefighterjake
In Denver with a one story house you need to watch the chimney height. Higher altitude installations need some additional chimney height. The Castine prefers a strong draft. How tall will the chimney be? Will the stove be vented straight up?

In Denver with a one story house you need to watch the chimney height. Higher altitude installations need some additional chimney height. The Castine prefers a strong draft. How tall will the chimney be? Will the stove be vented straight up?
Yes it will be vented straight up. The ceiling height is 9.5 feet, then another 5 or so through the attic and then 3 or 4 feet on the roof, so total chimney height from the stove will probably be about 15 feet. Do you think that will be high enough?

Having lived in Denver, I would always go for the bigger stove. Particularly in a 1940s home.
You can always upgrade to a 500 or 600, if you need more BTUs.

Yes it will be vented straight up. The ceiling height is 9.5 feet, then another 5 or so through the attic and then 3 or 4 feet on the roof, so total chimney height from the stove will probably be about 15 feet. Do you think that will be high enough?
Straight up is good, but I think I would add a few feet and brace the chimney. That will help with quicker starts, less smoke spillage and better performance in milder (40F) weather. Use double-wall smoke pipe to keep the flue gases hotter and improve draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.