Size matters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
I'm looking to put a wood stove insert into a existing brick fireplace. The challenge is that the sides taper in and the rear tapers forward slightly. I'd love to put a Regency Hampton HI400 in but at the top of the back of the stove, the fireplace ends up about 5/8" too shallow. For the smaller HI300, the back is just a hair to narrow. The result for both is that it pushes the unit out about 3/4" from being flush. There is a wood surround with mantle that otherwise fall safely outside of clearance distance. I'm hoping to get a 3/4" piece made that goes around three sides and bridges the gap between the insert and the fireplace. The dealers concern is that pushing the stove out 3/4" may create clearance issues with the surround. Will the 3/4" piece that bridges that gap count as a heat shield?
IMG_3254.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Should work. Grinding out an inch of brick in the back is also an option.

Should work. Grinding out an inch of brick in the back is also an option.
Good point, I'll try the wrap around solution and see if that's approved.

It's not uncommon to attach a 1" filler piece to the perimeter of the surround if necessary. Done right and painted black you'd hardly notice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.