Size of a "cord" of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lecomte38

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2008
Central Mass
I have NEVER received 128 cubic feet of stacked wood when I bought a cord. ( I am a pellet man now where a ton is a ton. ) My son recently bought 5 cord. My tape shows 4. My neighbor just got a good price on 4 cord. He has a 8" x 8' X 8" wood shed and it is exactly 1/2 full ( 2 cord) and he isn't happy. But what recourse is there? All the wood guys want cash in advance around here.

In Mass there is a law stating the size of a cord of wood is 4'x 4' x 8'of stacked wood. But is that law ever enforced?

doesn't the way it's stacked affect the way a cord would look? If you loosly stack wood you can get a 4x4x8 but if someone stacks it tightly it might be less of a size?? am i right or wrong...

although in your situation, being 1/2 full sounds like your neighbor got ripped off... check with your local authorities, or maybe better business beauro

I'd tell you to first call them, be nice, calmly explain to them your reasoning and invite them to come over and see the evidence them selves. If that doesn't work tell all your friends, neighbors and forum members who the cheaters are and let the buyers beware.

I ran into this same situation. I ordered two cords which should be 256 Cubic Feet. I received 193 Cubic Feet which is 63 cubic feet short. I called the wood dealer and explained the situation in a kind manner. He was very apologetic and came the next day to drop off little over 1/2 cord to make up the difference. Give your dealer a call and be polite! If he tells you to 'F' off then spread the word around town that he's a crook. But give him a chance first.

HearthKB said:
I ran into this same situation. I ordered four cords which should be 256 Cubic Feet. I received 193 Cubic Feet which is 63 cubic feet short. I called the wood dealer and explained the situation in a kind manner. He was very apologetic and came the next day to drop off little over 1/2 cord to make up the difference. Give your dealer a call and be polite! If he tells you to 'F' off then spread the word around town that he's a crook. But give him a chance first.

4 cord should be 512 cubic feet. If you only got 193, you were shorted by 319 cubic feet. If he dropped off another 1/2 cord, that gives you another 64 cubic feet. That is 257 total, or 2 cord, which is still only half of your order. What am I missing?

Oh, and to the original question, I would contact the Department of Weights and Measures if the dealer refused to make good on the order.

the_dude said:
HearthKB said:
I ran into this same situation. I ordered four cords which should be 256 Cubic Feet. I received 193 Cubic Feet which is 63 cubic feet short. I called the wood dealer and explained the situation in a kind manner. He was very apologetic and came the next day to drop off little over 1/2 cord to make up the difference. Give your dealer a call and be polite! If he tells you to 'F' off then spread the word around town that he's a crook. But give him a chance first.

4 cord should be 512 cubic feet. If you only got 193, you were shorted by 319 cubic feet. If he dropped off another 1/2 cord, that gives you another 64 cubic feet. That is 257 total, or 2 cord, which is still only half of your order. What am I missing?

My bad... meant to say that I ordered TWO cords. I updated my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.