Sizing a Replacement Door Gasket?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wilbilt

Oct 13, 2007
Nor Cal
I need to replace my door gasket (rope type).

How is the 3/8"-1/2" 5/8" sizing figured?

Width of door channel, depth of door channel, some other factor?

The number is the diameter of the gasket....

jtp10181 said:
The number is the diameter of the gasket....

...Right...but how does the gasket diameter relate to the dimensions of the mounting?

Is there a "squish factor"?

I don't think it really does, you just need to know the right size for your stove. Ask Hogz all about that.

Maybe take a piece to a stove shop? Could probably match it up.

There are different densities of the gaskets
one 1/2 gasket will be Firmer than the next depending on the brand
The density of the weave.

I think the currently installed gasket is the wrong size. The manufacturer has been out of business for a long time.

How to determine the correct size?

If the current gasket is of a size/density that it seals the door I wouldn't worry about what size the stove was designed for. A good seal is all you need. Take the current seal off and take it shopping with you. Still might take a little trial & error to get it right but you'll get there. Hands on comparison always works best for me.

Peggy

Status
Not open for further replies.