Sizing/ what material for LP gas line.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzz Saw

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2014
Attica, Ohio
Hello, the gas line is for my new stove/ range I'm putting in my new to me house(Moderators, I know this isn't heating related but gas related so I hope it's ok to post).

Questions

1.What information do I need to size the line? BTU's? Length of run?
2. Should I use black iron, copper(if so what type) or Corrugated Stainless Steel Line (CSST). I have several beams and joists to go around and a block wall to go through to get to the point I transition through the floor to the stove.

***I have to have this done by Thursday when the stove gets delivered. [emoji15] ***

Thanks in advance.

You stove literature will dictate line size, local codes will do the same for materials. Here iron pipe 3/4" was the ticket reduced to 1/2" at cook stove.
Remember holes in beams can weaken them. Also used approved sealant (yellow vs blue) and test for leaks in approved method

How many feet from supply regulator? Normally 1/2 OD copper tubing. There are line sizing charts for length of run. Type L is heavier wall and can be buried or go through partitions. Do not allow copper to come in contact with masonry wall or cement. It must be sheathed through plastic through wall. Forged flare nuts, (not cast) and preferably use a precision flaring tool. Black iron is only required inside walls, not when penetrating straight through them. Service valve at copper end behind range, and a stainless connector from valve to appliance. Only use copper hardware to hang supply line, no dissimilar metals against copper.
No sealant on flare fittings, use only on tapered pipe threads. Normally liquid teflon (paste) made for gas.

I ended up running 3/4" black iron the first 35' then reducing down to 1/2" the last 3'. Went pretty smoothly since I got a construction buddy to come help me run the pipe.

Thanks for your input!

Reactions: 1kzwoman
Status
Not open for further replies.