Sizzle Sizzle Sizzle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Warning, rant coming.

I ran out of my nice, good dry seasoned wood. So I bought a cord, and I will NEVER do it again. This is time number 2 I was screwed with buying wood.

I bought the cord, the guy shows up with a dump truck, and dumps it. My fault for not looking at the wood before it hit the ground. It's ALL ROUNDS. Small rounds. The biggest measures 4 inchest across at the end, and their about 16 inches wide. It's a ton of wood, but all small rounds. Bah.

Anyway, he said it was seasoned, when I hit smacked them togeather it sounded like a baseball bat. Had a good sound to it.

The problem is this wood is SOAKING WET. on the outside. If I split it, it's nice and dry inside, but it's wet for about the first half inch. It sits in the stove and sizzles like mad, and smoked to high heaven. Not blue smoke, but bright white thick smoke.

Anything I can do to better this situation?

Thanks for listening to me yell :)

D/F,

There are no silver bullets for this problem! What a challenge.

Split some of the largest and put it in the sun. Right! Or call the seller back ASAP.

What kind of wood is it?

It's all Fir.

I stacked it in the garage, maybe that was my mistake. Problem is, here in Oregon we have a very DAMP mild winter. We never really get dry sun to stack it in

D/F,

Yes, if possible I would get out in the fresh air, wide space stack it well above ground and cover it from the top down with a tarp for about 1 foot over the edge. Encourage air circulation. All for the occasional rain that you may have. ;>)

Good luck, pray for sun and dry winds.

That sucks D/F. But it sounds encouraging that it's dry inside. The garage might not be so bad an idea. I have a little shed I keep my current season's wood in, and when it's wet out like it is right now, even the covered stuff takes on moisture. Inside storage might actually help a bit. I also bring in as much as I can to sit near the stove for a day or two before I use it. Kind of a pain sometimes, but it really helps.
I'm definitely changing my drying and storing system for next year, as I have too much wood getting rained on before it goes in the shed. Bigger shed, and I'm going to try laying metal roofing on the top of my stacks unless it's August.

Todd said:
Leave it in the garage and use a fan on it.

Gee Todd, as I was reading down the list of posts, this was also my first thought. Get a big fan if possible and an oscillating fan would be nice as it would cover a larger area. But it should be good wood once the outside is dry. We burn a lot of rounds at 4" and it works good but not quite as good at starting a fire. But once the fire is going, adding rounds is a good way to go.

One can't beat natural air circulation and occasional sunshine to season wood stacks. I'm a believer that only seasoned wood should go indoors.

Good luck on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.