Skeletons both famous & infamous in your closet/family tree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DAKSY

Full Time RVer
Staff member
Dec 2, 2008
Wherever we're parked
OK. So I actually posted this comment in the "Humans used fire one million years ago" thread,
& then I thought why not start a new thread & leave the Shang-hai/Hi-jack action to others...

My 9th Maternal Great Grandmother was one of the last Accused Witches hanged at Salem in 1692. Her name was Martha Carrier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Carrier) & she was hanged, with 4 others, on 19 August of that year. Cotton Mather labelled her as "An Arrant Hag." 17 others were hanged & one man, 80 year-old farmer, Giles Corey was crushed to death by the weight of stones piled on top of him...Corey's reported last words were "More rocks" or "More weight".

Anyway, any of you others out there in Hearth-Head Land have any notables in your family trees?

Reactions: Jack Straw
Wow Daksy that is some interesting stuff there..

They say my maternal great grandmother and grandmother were both witches and could tell the future...I ain't kiddin...
But the jury is still out on "Mother Gamma"....she scares me some. !!

I have tried in the past to work on my family tree and find out a little more info on my relatives.
I do have some really cool old pics I have accumulated....
Here is one of my grandmother...last one on the left. The bride and groom are my great aunt and uncle. Circa 1930.. nanny1930.jpg

Several greats grandfolks owner over 100 slaves. Their descendants had some cultural dance group that performed once at the Macy's parade. My grandmother got all excited that they said our family name on the tube when they performed- but I was expected to go back to UMass after that and possibly be lynched by association.

Reactions: DAKSY and pen
OK. So I actually posted this comment in the "Humans used fire one million years ago" thread,
& then I thought why not start a new thread & leave the Shang-hai/Hi-jack action to others...

My 9th Maternal Great Grandmother was one of the last Accused Witches hanged at Salem in 1692. Her name was Martha Carrier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Carrier) & she was hanged, with 4 others, on 19 August of that year. Cotton Mather labelled her as "An Arrant Hag." 17 others were hanged & one man, 80 year-old farmer, Giles Corey was crushed to death by the weight of stones piled on top of him...Corey's reported last words were "More rocks" or "More weight".

Anyway, any of you others out there in Hearth-Head Land have any notables in your family trees?

Last time I was in Salem, we went to a small memorial park made of granite slabs engraved with the "witches" names. It was heavily visited when we were there. It is located right near the Peabody Essex Museum.

Here is a link I found.
http://www.salemweb.com/memorial/memorial.shtml

Reactions: DAKSY
Last time I was in Salem, we went to a small memorial park made of granite slabs engraved with the "witches" names. It was heavily visited when we were there. It is located right near the Peabody Essex Museum.

Here is a link I found.
http://www.salemweb.com/memorial/memorial.shtml

There is a stone in that with park with Martha Carrier's name inscribed, but her body was never properly buried. It was purportedly cut down from the hanging tree & tossed in a ravine alongside Gallow's Hill...

geez- well, here goes.......google Machine Gun Kelley sometime........

Lots on my father's side, we go back 12 generations in the US, but afaik, mostly good guys. Those that know Revolutionary War history will remember Tarleton's Raid. That was my great....great grandfather they were after. They burnt down the church and his house, stole his livestock and furnishings, but with the help of the community he escaped capture and went on to become an important county judge.

There is another branch on my father's mother's side that I am investigating. He helped found El Paso, TX and married the founder's daughter. Oddly we know nothing of his history before he entered the country around 1840 and nothing after he disappeared about a decade after the Civil War. I plan on sorting out some of this puzzle sometime soon.

My beloved grandfather swam from Vineyard Haven to mainland MA in 1938 When he was 22. Nothing useful in the family since. No use trying to top that.

My wife's great uncle was sheriff of Dodge City, Kansas right after Wyatt Erp. I guess the town was pretty well pacified after Wyatt. In retirement, my wife's great uncle was an avid golfer and a founding member of the local country club.

ChipTam

I guess my Grandfather (mom's dad) was somewhat famous...accomplished inventor (various machines/advancements for the audio tape industry), WWII vet who's story of capture, escape, capture and escape was published. Was a very philanthropic fellow...wing of town library named after him, left behind very large scholarship fund as well. Was also multiple time tomahawk throwing champion...that looks good on any resume if you ask me. Member of the Sons of the American Revolution, Mason, and all around good guy (by all accounts, died when I was very young). My mom says he was very eccentric...to the point of downright odd (long ponytailed hair in the 50's). She says that where I get it from.

Reactions: DAKSY
This was my great-great-great-great grandfather. Not far enough removed if you ask me.

Attachments

• Male-Chimp-642.jpg
    Male-Chimp-642.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 210
Reactions: firefighterjake
This was my great-great-great-great grandfather. Not far enough removed if you ask me.
you missed a few "greats" there Jags, and it seems.......we must be cousins! I'd recognize a pic of great-great-great-great-great-great uncle Paulo anywhere.

Hope you didn't git his ears Jagsy...
Just sayin..<>

Status
Not open for further replies.