Skinny Chimneys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Srbenda

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2009
PA Horse Country
I was in southern PA this week, and I noticed many houses had a very skinny chimney.

It was typically on the end of the house, appeared to make of block, and ran a straight line from the ground to above the roof.

No expansion area, or anything like a typical chimney for a fireplace.

Are these for oil furnaces, or something else?

Here's a photo.

l33bae442-m0o.jpg

probably a 7x7 flue added on after the house was built. They look kinda tiny.

Looks like a duplex house. could be oil furnace wood. n e thing. lots of house like that aorund here. my neighbor has one like that on his house for his woodstove here.

Seems like common sense went out the window and up the chimney when central heating systems were introduced.

I see those around here a lot also. Probably for B-Vent furnace / boiler or water heater added on before there was this all metal flue available. Most of the ones I see have round clay coming out. Probably 7" or 8". Some might not have any clay, just a block chimney,

Could also be for a wood or oil burning whatever.

Hmmm.... you know what else. I ran into a house in the historic district of a town that had a small flue like that. It was an old Coal flue for a cook stove. It was very narrow inside. Just had a thimble near the ceiling in the kitchen. So they could be for old coal furnaces also (did such a thing exist?). And maybe adapted to gas furnaces when the NG was piped through.

Most of them I would bet are currently venting gas furnaces/ boilers and/or water heaters. Some are probably not being used for anything when the furnace and water heater gets replaced with direct vent models.

They are oil furnace chimneys mostly.. im from south central PA and grew up in a house with same chimney

"So they could be for old coal furnaces also (did such a thing exist?)."

You betcha! That's what the metal doors were for on the side of houses in the late 1800s/early 1900s. Coal was delivered through the door to a chute to the basement. You loaded the coal furnace from the pile in the basement (it fired the boiler for our hot-water radiator system, before the boiler was replaced with a gas-fired unit, which we now use). We've found a few chunks of coal left in various cubbyholes in the basement. The metal door had been welded closed long before we bought the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.