Skylight/Drywall redo..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gfreek

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2010
WNYS
I removed 2 skylights and need to insulate and install drywall on ceiling. Question is the metal corner bead, do I need to remove it or just install a new piece and tape over it?

I am guessing that you are talking about the corner bead that was around the opening of the old skylight. I would remove it because you shold apply the "paper" in that seem or it will crack in the future.....good luck.

If this is the drywall corner bead, and it is in good shape, you do not need to remove it. It can be reused. Does it have holes in it for gripping the mud?

If the entire corner is being re-done, then remove the old and put a new one on - it'll be a much better surface from which to mudd. Do not tape over the metal - it's designed to be directly mudded.

Where the opening for the skylight was, all corners already have metal that was finished over, the opening itself is about a foot deep, I need to insulate, nail 2x4's around the inside perimeter 1/2" from edge, install a piece of drywall, and finish the new seams..

I still say that you need to remove that metal and tape it. You could tape over it but I think you will get a better seam with it removed. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.