Skytech TS/R-2A thermostat problems/questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptmoney

Jan 29, 2009
Western Colorado
Hey guys -

I'm currently using the Skytech TS/R-2A wireless thermostat to run my pellet stove. It's mounted about 12 feet from the stove, on the wall near traditional switch height.

Here's the problem: lately it's not been communicating with the stove very well at all. I wake up to find the house freezing, and notice that the wall-mounted part of the thermostat is calling for heat, but the stove isn't responding.

If I take it off the wall and move it a foot closer, it comes to life right away (course, I'm clicking it like a madman, trying to bring some heat out of this thing!).

I've replaced batteries in both the sending and receiving units...but not sure where to go from here. I know the placement is a fine, as it's worked for well over a year or so with no problems. This is all within the past month or two that it's started all of this voodoo.

Any ideas?

cptmoney

I have a skytech, not the same model as you, but i know the receiver on my unit has a sync/learn type of bottom does yours?

yes, mine has the "learn" button. I reset it when i installed new batteries, and have done so again recently. I'll do it again today as well.

my paperwork also mentions having to occasionally "tune" the receiver using a small slotted screwdriver. Has anyone ever had to do this? perhaps this is something I should do; I've never done it, but the instructions look relatively simple...just a turn on the receiver unit screw (1/8 turn clockwise or counterclockwise).

thoughts?

cptmoney - the range on wireless systems decreases with reduced battery power...excessive heat can also cause the batteries in the receiver to drain quicker. you state that you've tested and/or replaced the batteries in both the 'stat and the receiver, so there is also a frequency adjustment on the receiver. generally the receivers don't require adjustment, but if you take a mini-screwdriver and rotate the screw just minutely counter-clockwise as per the manual this should solve your range problem. best of luck.

http://www.skytechsystem.com/wireless.asp?pi=268

We have used a Skytech 3301 wireless remote on our gas stove for 4 years. It works great, but batteries are critical. Even though your remote and receiver have new batteries, I would replace the receiver batteries again, and swap positions of the remotes button batteries (one runs the display and the other the RF transmitter). If the results are the same, then I would consider proceeding with the RF adjustment.

Disconnect the receiver from the stove so as to not be cycling the stove during testing. When you press the "on" button, the receiver should "beep" if it is receiving from the remote. Test the receivers range by moving away one step at a time. Note the distance where communication between the remote and the receiver failed. When you adjust the receiver, you are looking for an increase in distance that the system operates. It is important to have some way of measuring performance to know if the adjustment has an effect, good or bad.

If you make the adjustment on the receiver, make sure you know the starting point. When making the adjustment, turn the "screw" the smallest amount you can.

Eliminate other possibilities for the malfunction prior to doing the receiver adjustment by using the troubleshooting procedure in the Skytech manual. You may want to call Skytech Tech Support prior to doing anything on the receiver. I remember talking to them before we bought or Skytech, and they were helpful. Good luck...Jim

Hey guys,

I'm really glad I found this discussion. I have purchased a new avalon astoria pellet stove and need to install the remote. I have the TS/R-2A Skytech remote. Where do you wires get connected. The instructions don't lead me anywhere specific. I'm glad to hear about the remote issues with the battery in advance. So, if you can help me with the connections (2 wires) that would be great.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.