Skytech Wireless Remote/Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
I'm hooking up my St. Croix pellet stove soon, and I want to use a wireless remote. I was told any millivolt remote should work. I've found that this one has the features I would want. Do you guys think it would work? The back of the stove only has a red and black input, and I guess the rest of the wiring is inside (as you can see in the attached instructions).

http://www.skytechsystem.com/thermo.asp?pi=275

Attachments

• thermo.JPG
    thermo.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,129
If your board has a slide switch on the front for "thermostat mode" you are looking at the wrong instructions. You only need to hook up your remote receiver to the connectors on the back of the stove. If you do not have the slide switch, you still connect the receiver to the connectors on the back, but you also have to make sure the J9 jumper is enabled. Be careful, only place the jumper on the 2 pins associated with J9. If you place the jumper anywhere else your stove will not work!!!

Anyone know if I could use this on a Quadra-Fire classic insert? They want $250 for theirs. Seems to me it is noting more than an on off swtich attached to the stove. Anyone?????

[I’m hooking up my St. Croix pellet stove soon, and I want to use a wireless remote. I was told any millivolt remote should work. I’ve found that this one has the features I would want. Do you guys think it would work? The back of the stove only has a red and black input, and I guess the rest of the wiring is inside (as you can see in the attached instructions).

What`s all this talk of milivolt thermostats needed on a pellet stove? I`ve seen this brought up before.
The only use of a milivolt thermostat that I ever knew of was in specific gas furnaces where the pilot light heats a thermocouple that in turn generates a milivoltage to power the control circuit. Quite handy in a steam system (usually a conversion) and no power needed.
With 120v power on board the use of a milivolt (powerpile) sytem is unneccessary and redundant.
On my Harman all that`s needed is a typical generic 2 wire 12-24v thermostat.
But then again , I could be missing something. Pellet stoves in general are a bit new to me.
John

Giovanni said:
I love cheap heat said:
If your board has a slide switch on the front for "thermostat mode" you are looking at the wrong instructions. You only need to hook up your remote receiver to the connectors on the back of the stove. If you do not have the slide switch, you still connect the receiver to the connectors on the back, but you also have to make sure the J9 jumper is enabled. Be careful, only place the jumper on the 2 pins associated with J9. If you place the jumper anywhere else your stove will not work!!!

What`s all this talk of milivolt thermostats needed on a pellet stove? I`ve seen this brought up before.
The only use of a milivolt thermostat that I ever knew of was in specific gas furnaces where the pilot light heats a thermocouple that in turn generates a milivoltage to power the control circuit. Quite handy in a steam system (usually a conversion) and no power needed.
With 120v power on board the use of a milivolt (powerpile) sytem is unneccessary and redundant.
But then again , I could be missing something. Pellet stoves in general are a bit new to me.
John

Yeah most of the instructions on a millivolt system talk about gas and such. What I'm looking for is something where I can just hook up the unit to my pellet stove and then have the remote on the other side of the room without having to hard wire it. if there are cheaper wireless systems that will work without the need of a millivolt system, I'm all for it, but so far, haven't found it.

ylomnstr said:
Giovanni said:
I love cheap heat said:

John

Yeah most of the instructions on a millivolt system talk about gas and such. What I'm looking for is something where I can just hook up the unit to my pellet stove and then have the remote on the other side of the room without having to hard wire it. if there are cheaper wireless systems that will work without the need of a millivolt system, I'm all for it, but so far, haven't found it.
Englander stoves accessories show a remote controlled (wireless) thermostat here: http://www.englanderstoves.com/remote_thermostat.html

Yeah I was looking for a cheaper alternative myself. I did not want to run a wired thermostat. The englander one would most likely work for me yet it is not that far in price from the Quadra-Fire remote. Maybe I will just go with a programble and run the wire.

Any type of thermostat that acts as a switch between the 2 wires will work. Most pellet stoves use millivolt thermostats, because they are readily available for gas units. Wireless programmable millivolt thermostats for gas units will work with St. Croix at least.

Giovanni said:
ylomnstr said:
Giovanni said:
I love cheap heat said:

John

Englander stoves accessories show a remote controlled (wireless) thermostat here: http://www.englanderstoves.com/remote_thermostat.html

the englander remote IS a skytech , since carrying them i have had to contact skytech once , yes once about a defective t-stat, to their credit , they contacted my customer that day and took care of him directly, then called me back and let me know , IMHO thats pretty good CS.

mralias said:
Anyone know if I could use this on a Quadra-Fire classic insert? They want $250 for theirs. Seems to me it is noting more than an on off swtich attached to the stove. Anyone?????

The $189 SMART-STAT the dealer is probably offering is actually made by SkyTech. The one posted above looks like it would work also.

Just bought me a Skytech 5301 Thermostat Fireplace Remote Control NEW on ebay today.......$125. Beats $200 anyday. Called Skytech who told me it will work with my stove no problem.

mralias said:
Just bought me a Skytech 5301 Thermostat Fireplace Remote Control NEW on ebay today.......$125. Beats $200 anyday. Called Skytech who told me it will work with my stove no problem.

Hey i was wondering if you have tried the Skytech 5301 on you stove yet. Does it work well or whats your dislikes etc...?? Just curious because I have a classic bay 1200 and was wanting to put it on mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.