Slab wood - how to dry and how long.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzzie Gumtree

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2012
I had a few trees chopped last October and the tree guy chopped one of the 10 foot sections into slabs. I managed to get 8 slabs about 10 feet long and about 3" thick 'rough' cut. i have heard its about 1 year for every 1" thick - but this is a quick drying wood similar to pine. We kept a couple of pieces for legs - not sure if thewy will work out though.

I have stood them up and put them in a shaded area outside will they dry ok like this? How long will they take to dry? The wood is a blackwood - similar to walnut. I will probably be looking to make some kind of table and some some outdoor seating around a fire pit.

CAM00318.jpg CAM00322.jpg CAM00323.jpg large-blackwood-slab-5-800x800.jpg

Ill preface this post by saying I have no experience with drying slab wood, but here goes nothing: :p

It seems like you'd need to lay it flat and/or weight it down. Won't those boards warp as they dry if they're leaning like that?

I think a year would be plenty on wood that thin

Status
Not open for further replies.