slab wood questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
To those who burn slab wood ,
Do you like it? Or is it a matter of what's available?
I have a chance to get some but have never burned it before and am wondering if I shld of just stick with "regular" wood since it is also available..

It always seasoned that would be the biggest advantage.

I knew a couple of guys that burned it back when it was $10 a truck load from a pallet company. They really liked it for the value and ease of handling. I think slabs would burn better in these newer stoves but that's just my best guess. Now that I pile wood I'd be willing to give it a shot but most wood processors are chipping there waste to sell to the biomass plant.

savageactor7 said:
I knew a couple of guys that burned it back when it was $10 a truck load from a pallet company. They really liked it for the value and ease of handling. I think slabs would burn better in these newer stoves but that's just my best guess. Now that I pile wood I'd be willing to give it a shot but most wood processors are chipping there waste to sell to the biomass plant.

I think your right moisture should be under 15 percent..And from the mill we have it will be HARDWOODS. You might load the stove a little more often but produces a lot of btu's.

What size slabs?? I get some 4x6 oak thats pretty nice. Tough to pass up at $30.00 a load

DSC01268.jpg

Thats some nice chunks!

smokinjay said:
Thats some nice chunks!

Yea Im lucky, the place is only about 10 minutes from me. .

There are some short pieces, a few longer, 20+"

Mostly Oak, some poplar, hickory and some unknown

ANeat said:
smokinjay said:
Thats some nice chunks!

Does all slab wood look that? That looks like regular wood, just rectangular instead of triangular

iceman said:
ANeat said:
smokinjay said:
Thats some nice chunks!

Does all slab wood look that? That looks like regular wood, just rectangular instead of triangular

It should be something like that but some could still have a little bark left.

Some "slab" wood is mostly bark, like when the slab off the round parts off logs to make them square, but there can be a good ammount of wood on them also.

Tecnically the stuff I get could be called "mill ends" or whatever. Its rough sawn 4x6 ends that get trimmed off from a pallet processor.

If anyone in SW Ohio needs some here they are.... http://foxhollowpallet.com/

Here is a pic I found on the web that probably better represents "slab" wood. If its good hardwood and the price is right it may be worthwhile.

untitled.jpg

I would expect a little of both.

I have two truckloads being delivered soon, whenever the mills truck gets fixed. It will be 7 cords of mixed hard and soft for around $350. This wood is debarked first, and is bundled in the sun I am hoping it will be seasoned as soon as I cut it.

ANeat said:
Some "slab" wood is mostly bark, like when the slab off the round parts off logs to make them square, but there can be a good ammount of wood on them also.

Tecnically the stuff I get could be called "mill ends" or whatever. Its rough sawn 4x6 ends that get trimmed off from a pallet processor.

If anyone in SW Ohio needs some here they are.... http://foxhollowpallet.com/

Holy crap! That isn't too far from me and if $30 gets me a truckload like you posted I need to give them a call!

All I have burnt was soft wood slabs. I find it a lot harder to cut up than logs especially where there is a thin spot. They tend to burn up fast in my non airtight stove but might work better in a airtight stove. Works great for getting the fire started and roaring!

Billy

iceman said:
To those who burn slab wood ,
Do you like it? Or is it a matter of what's available?
I have a chance to get some but have never burned it before and am wondering if I shld of just stick with "regular" wood since it is also available..

I always try to get some slab wood . . . but I don't tend to burn slab wood exclusively. Around here most mills have softwood slabs so I use the slabs for kindling. Sometimes I'll use some for small, quick fires in the shoulder seasons.

The nice thing about slab wood is that is often pretty cheap . . . and it seasons quickly. Nice for folks who may be running late on getting seasoned wood in their first year of burning . . . and as mentioned it is pretty decent kindling. I wouldn't want to burn slab wood exclusively . . . at least the slab wood around here.

That said . . . you can get mill ends in some places. I know Peavey Manufacturing sells white ash ends . . . some is pretty small, kindling-sized . . . some slabs . . . the wood I've seen would be more useful as kindling . . . but in other places you can get some decent hardwood mill ends.

I picked up a bundle of Pine slab wood that looked like ANeat's photo. Came out to .78 cord, for $5.00. Great for starting , burned too quick to expect anymore than an hour or two. But I'll grab another bundle for this year, well worth it.

I have softwood delivered for $50 a bundle, or $100 for hardwood. It looks like ANeat's picture (with some larger chunks) and a bundle may be a shade over a cord.

I like that it's usually pretty dry, much of the work is done, and it's delivered. I use this in my kiln.

If I was to go get this wood myself, it would cost a lot in time: I wouldn't be concerned if it was just 4 cord for the house, but I need 10-12 cord for the kiln in a year and would never have the time for that work.

As always, it depends upon the wood if it is a deal or not. For example, one time when I was sawing we sawed cottonwood for about 2 weeks solid. Would you want those slabs? On the other hand, today you might find a lot of white ash and usually some oak. That would be well worth getting.

Dad and I used to load the pickup with mill ends - slab wood cut to 12"-18". It was all softwood.
Shoulder season stuff. $3/pickup load in 1975 or so.
If it's hardwood, I'd like it. It stacks nicely and dries quickly.
Happy burning.

ANeat said:
What size slabs?? I get some 4x6 oak thats pretty nice. Tough to pass up at $30.00 a load

DSC01268.jpg

Schaeffer pallet?........Never mind I just saw it was Foxhollow.

Status
Not open for further replies.