Slab Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
I thought I would post the pictures of the slab wood I ordered. I know the guy that owns the mill so I was lucky and he delivered it for some beer. You don't ever want to put this in a pick up truck. He weighed this load so we know it was 6000 lbs. What he did when he loaded the wood is put 4 inch cedar logs under the slab wood so we could roll it off. Then he laid a tow chain on top of the cedar. When he had it loaded he tied the chain on top. So on the deliver we just put a tow chain around a tree and attempted to drive off. It stopped his truck right in it's tracks and the 4 wheel drive just dug in. What we found the best was to back up and slam the breaks on and the load slid 6 inches or so. After a few of those maneuver's we were able to drive it off. Those cedar posts worked great, without them I am not sure it would slide of.

The wood also had three bands around to hold the bundle together in transit. I used them to my advantage to slice the wood up. It was a lot of stacking and bending over but I did it in less than a day. I made maybe a dozen trips with the Atv trailer and the last picture is what a bundle looks like stacked. It stacks tight so there is basically 6000 pounds on that one rack, of which 50% is water. This slab wood was a little thicker than I have had before, but I guess each bundle is different. I want to use it for kindling, but for what I paid if you have to buy firewood this is the cheapest thing next to free.

Enjoy watching me wear my back out.

Attachments

• wood1 041 (512 x 384).jpg
    wood1 041 (512 x 384).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 884
  • wood1 042 (512 x 384).jpg
    wood1 042 (512 x 384).jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 922
Off the trailer and on the ground.

Attachments

• wood1 043 (512 x 384).jpg
    wood1 043 (512 x 384).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 851
  • wood1 044 (512 x 384).jpg
    wood1 044 (512 x 384).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 868
It's nice to have a towel to keep the sweat off my glasses and out of my eyes.

Attachments

• wood1 047 (512 x 384).jpg
    wood1 047 (512 x 384).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 853
  • wood1 048 (512 x 384).jpg
    wood1 048 (512 x 384).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 883
When your all done you look at the pile, with a certain amount of satisfaction, of a job well done. But you also think to yourself is that all I got out of that bundle, thought it would be more.

Attachments

• wood1 078 (512 x 384).jpg
    wood1 078 (512 x 384).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 875
  • wood1 080 (512 x 384).jpg
    wood1 080 (512 x 384).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 830
Smokey said:
It's nice to have a towel to keep the sweat off my glasses and out of my eyes.

Here's a trick I learned from my dad: Put Chapstick on your eyebrows (or brow) and it will divert the water away from your eyes.

You don't put it IN you eyes, velvetfoot--you put it AROUND your eyes.

Anyway, I've done it and it works just fine. No sweat in the eyes, and no chapstick, either. I think some people use Vaseline, but the chapstick is a lot easier to carry around, and probably easier to explain to concerned friends and loved ones than a jar of vaseline in the truck would be. If you get my drift.

I guess I shouldn't knock it til I've tried it, but it does contain camphor, and that's gotta sting if sweat drags some of it into you eyes.

I get your drift, but there's also the image of chapsticking one's eyebrows... :)

Officer: "Son do you have any idea how fast you were..Good Lord! What is that on your eyebrows?!"

Eric: "Eh, chapstick officer."

Officer: "Hmmm... Do me a favor and blow into the little device here."

I'll bet its easier too keep sand out of the chapstick too! :p

Eric Johnson said:
You don't put it IN you eyes, velvetfoot--you put it AROUND your eyes.

Anyway, I've done it and it works just fine. No sweat in the eyes, and no chapstick, either. I think some people use Vaseline, but the chapstick is a lot easier to carry around, and probably easier to explain to concerned friends and loved ones than a jar of vaseline in the truck would be. If you get my drift.

..."Where the Men are Men...and the seep are scared!!!!"...lol

The chap-stick definately sounds better Eric... Vaseline? Yeah... I can just picture having a third or second pair of eye-brows of vaseline mixed with sawdust...lol ;)

..."Son... What in de h^ll is that growin' outta yor' forehead? You better go have the doctor check that out!!!"...lol :)

I suppose lipstick is out?

I tried it this weekend, works pretty good, and I didn't get chapstick in my eyes. Just have to be careful when you wipe your forehead.

If you use lipstick, Smokey, for God's sake use a color that matches your chaps.

Nice looking garden in the other thread, BTW. I've got a few shots of mine that I'll probably post in a few days. One nice thing about all this hot, dry weather: no slugs.

Do you have a problem with deer, aka "long-eared locusts?"

Deer are a bad problem, If you look at the garden you will see a black box, it has a motion sensor and sprays intruders. Works pretty good. But I may need an electric fence. But then I have to take it down to get the manure spreader and tractor in to work the soil.

A retired vet told me that the best way to deal with deer is to get a single strand electric fence, then hang a metal container filled with peanut butter from it.

They're bad here in upstate NY as well. What works pretty well for me (25'x25' with a four-foot fence) is to hang a used firewood work shirt on the fence. Keeps most of the neighbors away, too.

Sling-shot practice might be entertaining, depending on the neighbors.

Don't bother with a slingshot. Even with a direct hit at 50 feet, they barely notice it. Same for raccoons.

Not really adding to the garden post but.... I am having a deer problem (actually started last year) with my above ground swimming pool. It is one of them 4 ft tall x 18 ft diameter "fill 'em up" ones. Darn deer is letting out about 1000 gallons at a time, when it jumps up on the side to get a drink. Darnedest thing I have ever seen. Last year towards the end of the year I did figure out how to cure this (at least for awhile), I just have to wait till "whats her name" ain't looking. Yep, you might have guessed by now, I pee'd on it. Shhhh, don't tell the family.

A few years ago I read where some Nuns in a convent in NY state hired a sharpshooter to kill some deer because their gardens were being over-run. You just gotta know that there is a real deer problem when Nuns call in the artillery on them.

Sister Magnum: "Forgive me Father for I have sinned."

Priest: "Tell me of it Sister."

Sister Magnum: "I ordered the killing of thirty-three deer. The creatures were as plague and pestilence on the convent gardens."

Priest: "Three Hail Marys and two Our Fathers. By the way, what is for dinner tonight Sister?"

Sister Magnum: "Uh. Venison. 164 0/8 Boone and Crockett point rack on that sucker."

Status
Not open for further replies.