slabwood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jakep

Aug 10, 2008
pa
i want to buy some oak slabwood this week is it possible it could burn this year like dec jan i no its late i have other wood ill mix in or is this a waste of time. i would think it would dry pretty quick since its thinner and its only 20.00 for a bundle 5 foot tall 5 foot wide and 12 foot long.

Hi Jake, yes slabs tend to season pretty fast if stacked loosely in the wind. They also burn fast & hot. Do you know how long they've been cut & bundled? If they've set @ the mill for a while they may be better as well. More than one wood burner has made it through the first season with the help of slab wood. Worst that can happen if it isn't seasoned well is you'll have chit load of kindling for years. A C

Friend of mine gets hemlock slabs like that from the amish.Get it cut and stacked where the wind can blow through it and it should be fine.

wow thats cheap...would love to find some for that price around here

I've never burned slab wood, but I think I would split it down to expose more edge wood...might help it dry faster. Oak is gonna be problematic.

Slab wood, even if it has been cut for a while is usually stacked so that it won't dry a whole lot. But you can still get away with short drying times for many species. However, I would hesitate on betting that oak slabwood will give you the heat you need this winter. It will be full of moisture. If you insist on trying to burn it, I would suggest you cut the large end off and stack that aside for next year and burn only the very thin parts of the slab.

When you cut the slabs, get them stacked as best you can and stack them loosely where they will get lots of sun and wind. Wind being the most important.

Good luck.

i often burn slab (bro has a sawmill)but.....never red oak,thicker bark and moisture content are problems for me....

I used to get 8 and 10 footers from someone who custom made oak pallets for local companies.

They don't season well if you spend a couple weekends cutting them to the length you need and making one huge pile.

I'd be tempted to stack them in a block like stickered boards for air-drying if the oak didn't cut a little easier green.

It will burn fine....Save it for the really cold days and keep you damper low....

$20 for that large of stack? Heck at that price I'd grab me a couple,even with 4yrs ahead right now.Helped keep me warm one winter back in the early '90's when I had bad knee injury & snow was too deep for me to get into the woods.Nice to keep some around for October & April too.

Youre damn right I would. Id get $100 worth. And cover the top till next yr when I cut it to length to mix in with split wood.

If the guy selling it is in southern WNY, I saw him too, haha.
If it was closer to me I'd take all he has... which he has at least 50-100 of such bundles!
Was over an hour away, so I figured it wouldn't be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.