Slammer without collar, safe to run?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rohin13

Aug 16, 2016
Boulder CO
Ive got two fireplaces I would like to get operational for this winter. My tubes are cracked so I was planning on getting them lined. I have a pretty nice older insert for the basement fireplace but it has no collar to clamp the liner to. So the question I have is : could I run it safely with a liner and blocking plates and lots of insulation? The insert wouldn't be connected directly to the liner but I feel I could get it pretty air tight.

For the upstairs, I would love to install a free standing stove on the hearth, but the fireplace height is only 24". Any stove out there have a rear flue that would clear 24"? Or has anyone ever punched a hole through bricks to access the tubes higher up on the chimney? Thanks so much for any advice and input.

No, that would not be a safe or code legal installation. There are adapters to go from the rectangular insert flue opening to round so that the liner can directly attach to the stove without any break. 24" is a good height for an insert, but a bit low for a freestanding stove. Can you post a picture of the fireplace and hearth so that we can see what the alternatives might be?

Reactions: rohin13
You will still be filling the firebox and smoke chamber with smoke and in turn, creosote. It'll make a real mess, and isn't code compliant. What does the outlet in the insert look like?

Reactions: rohin13
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them. Sounds like I need to find an adapter if I want it to work well.

I would scrap the idea all together, that insert is probably north of 30 years old. It probably has a rectangle exit on it which you can get a rectangle to round boot adapter for but why bother, I would spend $600-$800 and get something used that is alot newer than that unit and will heat twice as good.

As for the one upstairs I would give up on a rear vent, 24" is just to low. I would stick with getting a top vent and put in a thimble up above it, going top vent will greatly increase your stove selection, as long as you can get the clearances for a free standing on your hearth that would be the best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.