Slap me.....just slap me.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
As I get closer to having the rear and top heat shields installed for the NC-13, I have to ask.....
I'm putting all this together for a stove that has a 1.8 CF box, and a usable burn time of 6 hrs. max load of Lodgepole. Or....
Should I suck it up, and start looking for a BK Chinook 30, Sirocco 30, or Princess?
Originally, I thought I'd only use the 13 about 6 weeks a year, but now I'm thinking it would be a 24/7 burner for 4 months a year. Whatever goes in, it has to have a 6" flue pipe.
Any ideas on an alternate stove that can be dialed down low enough to burn clean, yet only need loading every 12 hrs.? Thanks, JB

Yes, I just wanted a stove for a nice evening and weekend fire. Now I'm gathering wood and trying to burn all the time lol. It is so much easier just keeping it going.

Reactions: Iembalm4aLiving
Holiday, thanks for the reply-(you jack-ass).
The NC-13 was only intended as a secondary heater during really cold spells. I think I may want to bump up the usage of that heater. Looking for options. JB

Reactions: dafattkidd
As I get closer to having the rear and top heat shields installed for the NC-13, I have to ask.....
I'm putting all this together for a stove that has a 1.8 CF box, and a usable burn time of 6 hrs. max load of Lodgepole. Or....
Should I suck it up, and start looking for a BK Chinook 30, Sirocco 30, or Princess?
Originally, I thought I'd only use the 13 about 6 weeks a year, but now I'm thinking it would be a 24/7 burner for 4 months a year. Whatever goes in, it has to have a 6" flue pipe.
Any ideas on an alternate stove that can be dialed down low enough to burn clean, yet only need loading every 12 hrs.? Thanks, JB

SLAP !!

Reactions: Beetle-Kill
Keystone if sized right. Fireview if you need something larger. This is based on the fact that the 13 is providing enough heat but only falling short on burn times.

You can get a Keystone and Fireview cheaper than a Chin/Sirocco/Princess. Difference is, the Fireview, based on what you are heating with, would give you 12 hours of heat. The Chin/Sirocco/Princess would give you longer burns.

Keystone if sized right. Fireview if you need something larger. This is based on the fact that the 13 is providing enough heat but only falling short on burn times.

You can get a Keystone and Fireview cheaper than a Chin/Sirocco/Princess. Difference is, the Fireview, based on what you are heating with, would give you 12 hours of heat. The Chin/Sirocco/Princess would give you longer burns.
Yep, the 'stoners know how to bogart that wood. ==c You'll appreciate the longer burn times when feeding multiple stoves....just ask BBar. Consider yourself slapped. ==c

Twelve hour burns are easy in my Spectrum. Actually, I've reloaded on coals after eighteen. That is with hardwood, though. Not sure how it would do with lodgepole.

Not bad for a 2 cu ft non-cat, and only burning it a few times. And the glass is still clean ==c All the PE super series stoves should perform the same.

Last edited:
Is it a heater, or do you want to see flames? You have a BK, you know what you're getting with one.

I keep eye balling the BK Sirocco 20/30, but really, I want to see fire not black glass. Well, and I don't want to spend that much $$ on a stove especially after spending money on this one. A woodstock would be nice but we don't have clearances/hearth pad r-value for one. You could probably swap in a Woodstock though, since the 13 has such big time hearthpad requirements yours is probably already enough for one.

I've gotten 8-9 hour burn times with pine in my Keystone but if i had nothing but pine to burn I'd definitely go with a BK for longer burns.

Reactions: Beetle-Kill
I've been feeding two stoves for a year now, so no where near the experience level of BAR, but I like having two with roughly identical burn times. I load both at the same time(s) every day, taking the time to go thru the whole process of getting them going, getting the cat's lit off, and setting them to cruise. I'd think that if they have different burn times, I'd be nearly forever feeding and setting stoves, which doesn't work for someone out of the house as much as I am.

Last edited:
Like Joful, i'm thinking more along the lines of loading both stoves about the same time. I know the 13 will put out the heat, but I'm thinking more of longer burn times. I don't need to see flames where this is going, so the steady heat from a BK is appealing.

I think you've answered your own question...

Consider me slapped. And now, it's getting even better.....
2-3K for a new stove, not happening right now. $4-500 in 3/8 plate plus some extras, much more feasible. So...... stay tuned. My guy's in the shop are on board, we're gonna build one. Initial plans are sketchy, but secondary air, a CAT or two, and a large capacity. The boy's say they all have always wanted to build a stove, so after the first when things might slow down, we'll get to work. Remember, I have a full-on metal fab shop at my disposal, so this may take a while( everyone argues on who's correct for -whatever). I'll install the 13 for this winter, and maybe swap it out next year with the "Frankenhot" thing we come up with. Trust me, it will be tested before it gets close to my place. But, I'm kinda excited that everyone's on board with this. I have some very creative, very skilled fabricators willing to try this. Most burn wood for primary heat, the others when they want to. I'll be the "mock-up", changes as necessary for the future.
That being said, I'll shut up about this until I have something to report. This will take a while. Thanks, JB

I've been feeding two stoves for a year now, so no where near the experience level of BAR, but I like having two with roughly identical burn times. I load both at the same time(s) every day, taking the time to go thru the whole process of getting them going, getting the cat's lit off, and setting them to cruise. I'd think that if they have different burn times, I'd be nearly forever feeding and setting stoves, which doesn't work for someone out of the house as much as I am.
Having identical stoves is my end goal. It would be great if I had three of the same stove. Not happening for a while, though. I'm guessing two years until I send the Encore into retirement. The Defiant probably has five years, at least. The refractory was new when I bought it and I have a backup cat that I can swap out when needed. So, no out of pocket costs. It's a little too dirty for my liking, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful
I'm going to slap you if you don't get enough wood, that is all....

I'm going to slap you if you don't get enough wood, that is all....
;lol;lol!! Tell me about it!
That 20 cord is on it's way, or so I've been told- 2 weeks max.. and the bridge I just bought, from that broker in Nigeria, should close about the same time.
Yup, I'm good to go it seems.;em

Last edited:
Nice, I gave the Nigerian prince my bank account number because he is going to pay me to help him cash a check, fingers crossed it's in before the mortgage is due!

Status
Not open for further replies.