Slate Hearth Cracked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hearth78

Jan 25, 2022
Highlands
Hi there,

We recently had a log burner professionally installed by a local trader in our kitchen diner, along with a one piece 20mm hearth. However, after 3 months, the hearth has cracked horizontally from where the hearth cuts into the chamber, right across to the other side.

I approached the installer (crack was only half way cross at this point), and he advised that this is rare but it can happen. He said he’s only witnessed it happen 3 times previously, and last time was 4 years ago and it has been fine cracked since. Hearth was installed on top off our laminate floor, on a bed of mortar/cement. The Stove was then installed a week later.

Can anyone advise what could be the cause of the cracking?
Thanks

A9049196-ECA9-4272-BD90-A28B23206806.jpeg 4E40D6EF-5BF4-48B7-BC33-2E2531CD4E21.jpeg E813DDD7-90C8-4A68-BCE6-8682D1F78C95.jpeg

Could be many things but is usually that it didn't get bedded properly. What is under the laminate? Crawl space or concrete? How thick is the slate? Even if properly bedded that doesn't mean that the subfloor didn't flex when the stove was set, or flexes when some stands on the hearth. I don't see any issue other than the aesthetics.

Could be many things but is usually that it didn't get bedded properly. What is under the laminate? Crawl space or concrete? How thick is the slate? Even if properly bedded that doesn't mean that the subfloor didn't flex when the stove was set, or flexes when some stands on the hearth. I don't see any issue other than the aesthetics.
Hi, under the laminate is original concrete hearth. The slate hearth is 20mm. I did have my concerns about laying slate hearth onto laminate floor i.e it flexing, but was reassured this would be fine.

Inside corners tend to do that.